Author Topic: PM5 Won't ADD Live Ingest Source  (Read 6299 times)

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 Won't ADD Live Ingest Source
« on: September 14, 2012, 01:17:03 PM »
I have a USB connection to D4 using PM5 v5.0 13217 build with O/S Win 7 64bit.  I can see the source folder in the browse of "ADD" live source, but it will not accept the folder into the Live Source box and thus get error message upon "Start".  Please help resolve.
Thnks!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:20:03 PM by PhotogJC1 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 Won't ADD Live Ingest Source
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
I have a USB connection to D4 using PM5 v5.0 13217 build with O/S Win 7 64bit.  I can see the source folder in the browse of "ADD" live source, but it will not accept the folder into the Live Source box and thus get error message upon "Start".  Please help resolve.

Does your D4 show up as a drive letter on your system?  If not, you'll have to take the card out and put it into a dedicated card reader.  Then you should be able to ingest from it.

-Kirk

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 02:23:03 PM »
Yes, the D4 shows up as a device and as in my original post, I can select the folder in which the images exist ... that said PM5 then does not "Add" it as selected.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
Yes, the D4 shows up as a device and as in my original post, I can select the folder in which the images exist ... that said PM5 then does not "Add" it as selected.

Could you please post a screen shot of what the folder picker dialog looks like for your D4 connection?

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 04:44:24 PM »
Hi Kirk,, here is attached PDF of the sequence of screen shots trying to get the selected "source" folder to "ADD".

OK, notice that there is no drive letter associated with your Nikon D4.  Photo Mechanic only works with drives that have been assigned drive letters.  The dialog that is used to pick folders is able to work with your USB attached device, but Photo Mechanic can't.  You'll have to take the card out of the camera and put it into a dedicated card reader or find some way to assign a drive letter to your camera's cards.

Have you installed some sort of driver that allows your camera to show up as a device in Windows Explorer?

-Kirk

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 06:02:12 PM »
Hi Kirk,
No I didn't install anything, Win 7 recognized the attachment of the D4 immeidately.  Does PM5 work with any "tethered" camera?
If so, that would be a place to start ... otherwise what does Live Ingest mean for today's photographers? ... not intended to sound critical but rahter seeking understanding, afterall I have been a PM loyal user since early 2005.
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:40:41 PM »
Hi Kirk,
No I didn't install anything, Win 7 recognized the attachment of the D4 immeidately.  Does PM5 work with any "tethered" camera?
If so, that would be a place to start ... otherwise what does Live Ingest mean for today's photographers? ... not intended to sound critical but rahter seeking understanding, afterall I have been a PM loyal user since early 2005.
Thanks

LiveIngest is mainly meant for photographers that are using wireless transmitters to FTP to a folder that is watched by LiveIngest.  PM has never worked with tethered cameras.  If enough people wanted such a feature I'm sure we would devote the time to implement support for tethered cameras.

-Kirk

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 06:05:48 AM »
Thanks Kirk.  Tethered cameras are being used a lot more frequently in the studio settings for portraiture and product photography, especially when a client is over your shoulder or when simply more efficiency and confirmation of the capture is desired ... my objective for tethering. 
Thanks

Offline thorne

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 06:03:45 AM »
Thanks Kirk.  Tethered cameras are being used a lot more frequently in the studio settings for portraiture and product photography, especially when a client is over your shoulder or when simply more efficiency and confirmation of the capture is desired ... my objective for tethering. 
Thanks

I agree tethered would be nice to have.  However, on a D4 you can hook up an ethernet cord between camera and computer and set Photo Mechanic to view images. I use this on a MacBook all the time.  Seems a little bit slower then tethered but works.

Offline PhotogJC1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 06:57:11 AM »
Yes a D4 and some other cameras can connect by wireless or ethernet LAN provided there is a network to connect with, albeit slower than tethered.  As the market changes with many going to LightRoom 4 or Adobe Bridge, for workflow efficiency and ease of use, I too think this would be a great and obvious inclusion in PM.