Author Topic: "Special Instructions" not getting saved in IPTC data / field moved?  (Read 3419 times)

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
Hi, I am using Photo Mechanic 5.0 build 13217 on MacOS X 10.7.4

I had always used the IPTC field "Special instructions" for a variety of instructions that are read by a PHP script on my web server once I FTP a new image file into that server.

Since running Photo Mechanic 5 (with all of its new IPTC fields), my PHP script no longer finds what I put in that field.
I am sure that, even though this is PHP, the addressing would be the same for accessing IPTC data in any programming language

It used to find the Special Instructions  data at this location in the IPTC block: ["2#040"][0]
But now that location is blank when saving IPTC data in PM5

This is no problems with most of the other fields (I still find them in the same place as they were before)
Here are some examples which work fine
                $caption = $iptc["2#120"][0];
                $city = $iptc["2#090"][0];
                $transmission_ref = $iptc["2#103"][0];
                $location = $iptc["2#092"][0];
                $country = $iptc["2#101"][0];

But nothing is found in $iptc["2#040"][0];

I should point out that reloading the file in PM, the Special Instructions text is still there so it is getting saved somewhere. I just dont know where

I also dumped the whole IPTC array in the script and still did not find the Special Instructions text I had saved 

Can you tell me if something has changed in the IPTC data block in photo mechanic 5, specifically with "Special Instructions"?
Is there a new IPTC specification that its using? If so, hopefully the numbers I gave above for the other fields make sense and someone may be able to help.

Thanks
-Tommy
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:21:10 AM by tommygrealy »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Special Instructions" not getting saved in IPTC data / field moved?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 07:08:15 AM »
Tommy,

Hi, I am using Photo Mechanic 5.0 build 13217 on MacOS X 10.7.4

I had always used the IPTC field "Special instructions" for a variety of instructions that are read by a PHP script on my web server once I FTP a new image file into that server.

Since running Photo Mechanic 5 (with all of its new IPTC fields), my PHP script no longer finds what I put in that field.
I am sure that, even though this is PHP, the addressing would be the same for accessing IPTC data in any programming language

It used to find the Special Instructions  data at this location in the IPTC block: ["2#040"][0]
But now that location is blank when saving IPTC data in PM5

This is no problems with most of the other fields (I still find them in the same place as they were before)
Here are some examples which work fine
                $caption = $iptc["2#120"][0];
                $city = $iptc["2#090"][0];
                $transmission_ref = $iptc["2#103"][0];
                $location = $iptc["2#092"][0];
                $country = $iptc["2#101"][0];

But nothing is found in $iptc["2#040"][0];

I should point out that reloading the file in PM, the Special Instructions text is still there so it is getting saved somewhere. I just dont know where

I also dumped the whole IPTC array in the script and still did not find the Special Instructions text I had saved 

Can you tell me if something has changed in the IPTC data block in photo mechanic 5, specifically with "Special Instructions"?
Is there a new IPTC specification that its using? If so, hopefully the numbers I gave above for the other fields make sense and someone may be able to help.

Can you post an example file and tell me what message you put into Special Instructions?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your example file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
Re: "Special Instructions" not getting saved in IPTC data / field moved?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:20:12 AM »
Sorry, I have since discovered that the "special instructions" field is still in the same place in the IPTC data array and is being saved as usual. In the cases where it was missing, I found it was being removed at a point in my workflow which I recently changed. So issue here after all. Thanks