Author Topic: Copyright Status field between PM and Adobe Bridge  (Read 5016 times)

Offline aglenn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Copyright Status field between PM and Adobe Bridge
« on: September 17, 2012, 08:03:54 AM »
I'm having trouble with PM's Copyright field and how the field changes when the same JPEG file is opened via Bridge. If I place my organization name in PM's "Copyright" field, in Bridge the "Copyright Notice" field displays that same text, plus it changes the "Copyright Status" field to "copyrighted". This has created a problem because my archive manager, who uses Bridge, requires (in Bridge) that the "Copyright Notice" field says the name of our organization, however the "Copyright Status" field needs to remain unknown for the images to be downloadable from our online archive site, Smugmug. I have been unable to determine if Smugmug will allow downloads with the Copyright Status checked to "copyrighted," the archive manager claims there is no way around it. Is there a way in PM to place my organization's name in the "Copyright" field without it changing the "Status" from unknown to copyrighted?

Thank you for any light you can shed on this issue.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Copyright Status field between PM and Adobe Bridge
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:06:32 AM »
I'm having trouble with PM's Copyright field and how the field changes when the same JPEG file is opened via Bridge. If I place my organization name in PM's "Copyright" field, in Bridge the "Copyright Notice" field displays that same text, plus it changes the "Copyright Status" field to "copyrighted". This has created a problem because my archive manager, who uses Bridge, requires (in Bridge) that the "Copyright Notice" field says the name of our organization, however the "Copyright Status" field needs to remain unknown for the images to be downloadable from our online archive site, Smugmug. I have been unable to determine if Smugmug will allow downloads with the Copyright Status checked to "copyrighted," the archive manager claims there is no way around it. Is there a way in PM to place my organization's name in the "Copyright" field without it changing the "Status" from unknown to copyrighted?

You'd have to leave the field blank.  If there is text in the Copyright field, then most applications are going to treat the file as copyrighted, regardless of the additional Copyright Status field's settings.

-Kirk

Offline aglenn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:35:35 AM »
Thanks Kirk. I actually just discovered a work-around. I've entered my organization's name into the copyright menu in camera (Nikon D800s) and this places the info in Bridge's Copyright Notice field without changing the Copyright Status field.

Offline aglenn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »
Just discovered that when I download the images, the Copyright Status shows unknown, but if I make any changes to any other fields in PM, it switches the Status to Copyrighted in Bridge. Arg! Hope someone here can figure ANOTHER way around this!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »
Just discovered that when I download the images, the Copyright Status shows unknown, but if I make any changes to any other fields in PM, it switches the Status to Copyrighted in Bridge. Arg! Hope someone here can figure ANOTHER way around this!

If PM is set to either embed IPTC or the file in question has IPTC data in it already, then if the Copyright field is non-empty then PM is going to write the Photoshop resource copyrighted tag and set it to true.  This behavior is according to the Metadata Working Guidelines and has been in place for more than a decade.

It just doesn't make sense to put a copyright in the file and then say that the file isn't copyrighted.

-Kirk

Offline aglenn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »
Kirk, I agree with you 100% and have made that argument to the archive manager and to my art director before seeking info here. Neither are photographers and don't seem to think copyright matters or that the issue is actually with Smugmug, that it won't allow public downloads if photo file is marked copyrighted. It is making me mad. Thank you for your assistance anyway.