Author Topic: Interesting colour rendition issue in Preview mode  (Read 3081 times)

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
Interesting colour rendition issue in Preview mode
« on: September 19, 2012, 06:33:28 AM »
I have noticed that in Preview mode, the colour/white balance between two adjacent images in a string taken at 10 fps will occasionally change. It usually affects just one or two images and those images look a little warmer and more saturated than the images made immediately before and after. The exposures for all the images are identical.

I did some digging to see of this was my camera or PM. I edited two very similar images, one showing this issue and one not, and they look identical in Adobe Camera Raw and Canon's Digital Photo Professional. So, I have eliminated the camera side and so looked at PM. I found that the issue does not occur when the palettes are showing in Preview mode. In fact, toggling the palettes on and off with the f key, reverts the affected image or images back to what they should look like based on the others in the run. Also the affected images do not look warm or more saturated in the Contact Sheet.

So, to summarise, the issue described above only occurs in Preview mode with the palettes turned off. BTW, I have "Perform Color Matching" turned on.

I'm running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13217 (68ec133).

If you have trouble duplicating the issue I can perhaps make a short screen movie and put somewhere that you can download.
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Interesting colour rendition issue in Preview mode
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
I have noticed that in Preview mode, the colour/white balance between two adjacent images in a string taken at 10 fps will occasionally change. It usually affects just one or two images and those images look a little warmer and more saturated than the images made immediately before and after. The exposures for all the images are identical.

I did some digging to see of this was my camera or PM. I edited two very similar images, one showing this issue and one not, and they look identical in Adobe Camera Raw and Canon's Digital Photo Professional. So, I have eliminated the camera side and so looked at PM. I found that the issue does not occur when the palettes are showing in Preview mode. In fact, toggling the palettes on and off with the f key, reverts the affected image or images back to what they should look like based on the others in the run. Also the affected images do not look warm or more saturated in the Contact Sheet.

So, to summarise, the issue described above only occurs in Preview mode with the palettes turned off. BTW, I have "Perform Color Matching" turned on.

I'm running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13217 (68ec133).

If you have trouble duplicating the issue I can perhaps make a short screen movie and put somewhere that you can download.

No, no need.  This issue is solved and the fix will appear in the next build.

-Kirk

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
Re: Interesting colour rendition issue in Preview mode
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 07:32:57 AM »
Thanks Kirk. Apologies of someone else had also brought the issue up.
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build