Author Topic: Incorrect labels  (Read 2008 times)

Offline whistlerdan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Incorrect labels
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »
I'm having an odd issue with some files.  Occasionally I have noticed that some files which I have tagged in PM with #1  ie Red color are showing up in Lightroom under the 'custom' label.

If you go to the IPTC window in Lightroom and look at the file , in the label box it actually has the word 'Red' instead of 'winner' like all the other ones.

If I go back to PM and select that same file , then remove all colors from it and select 'winner' for it , then go back to Lightroom and read the metadata for that file it goes back to saying the word 'Red' again. 

99% of the time it all works fine and the labels match up between the programs but then I'll get a rogue file that does this and it doesn't make a difference what color you tag it with in PM, it always shows up in the custom filter of LR.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Incorrect labels
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:11:05 PM »
You'll have to send us a sample file.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline whistlerdan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:34:32 AM »
I've uploaded a sample file and it's XMP to the FTP Kirk.

Currently all changes to things like description and keywords make the transfer between the two programs but In LR the color class is still wrong even though it shows correctly in PM

My thinking is that the offending files are ones that were tagged with a color in Lightroom before I changed Lightrooms color class names to match those of Photo Mechanic.  For the CR2 files presumably LR writes that color to an external XMP but what I don't then understand is why, if I change the color class of that file in PM does it not change it when viewed in LR since I have the checkbox for 'always create and/or update XMP sidecar file' checked.  I would have thought that this would have overridden the old color class name that was originally applied in LR?

Secondly I have also notice that this happens wit TIFF files as well , not just CR2s.  Since TIFFs don't even have sidecar XMPs i'm even more confused because PM I thought would write the color class to the embedded IPTC and XMP of the TIFF leaving no place for the old color class name originally added in LR.  Yet in LR the file still shows up as one thing and in PM a different class.

To demonstrate this I have also just uploaded you a TIFF that is causing the same problem.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:34:38 AM by whistlerdan »

Offline whistlerdan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 11:52:38 PM »
Kirk did you get a chance to look at this ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:01:57 AM »
Dan,

Your CR2 file has embedded XMP in it and it has an XMP sidecar file.  Both the CR2 and the XMP sidecar file have the following tag in them:

<xap:Label>Winner</xap:Label>

Also, the embedded XMP and sidecar XMP are out of sync.  The sidecar XMP has Camera RAW adjustments and duplicate EXIF data in it but the embedded XMP does not.   Have you set PM to not modify RAW files after you previously instructed it to embed XMP into RAW files?  We always recommend that people using Adobe products do not embed XMP into their RAW files.  Embedding IPTC is also not recommended by us but shouldn't cause any problems.

There is no Red label anywhere in the files so I can only guess that LR is caching that information in its database.

As for your TIFF file, it has only one Label in it as so:

xmp:Label="Green"

As far as we know, LR should only care about the XMP Label tag and should use its value.

So for your RAW file, LR should show the label as Winner, and the TIFF file as Green.  If it does not, then LR must be caching an old value somewhere and is using that value instead of the one in the XMP metadata.

What do your IPTC/XMP settings look like, and what do your General settings look like?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk