Author Topic: Emailing - how does 2.2MB file become 6.4MB?  (Read 8947 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Emailing - how does 2.2MB file become 6.4MB?
« on: September 29, 2012, 11:06:16 AM »
I need to send some images via email and they have to be around 2mb. I'm starting with a test 3168 x 2112 px file which -- according to Finder -- is 2.2MB.  I want to use PM 4.6.9 Mac to send it via Mail app.

Using 'Send Photos via email" you'd think image settings 'full size' and 'JPEG quality' 'High' would result in a 2.2MB email, but it doesn't, its 6.4MB. And the JPEG file really is 6.4MB after emailing.

The image size is 19.1MB in both the original and emailed files when open in Photoshop.

If I drag and drop the original file from the Finder into Mail and send it a 2.2MB file is delivered.

What's PM doing to this file and how can I stop it?!

Thanks

DG

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Emailing - how does 2.2MB file become 6.4MB?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »
I need to send some images via email and they have to be around 2mb. I'm starting with a test 3168 x 2112 px file which -- according to Finder -- is 2.2MB.  I want to use PM 4.6.9 Mac to send it via Mail app.

Using 'Send Photos via email" you'd think image settings 'full size' and 'JPEG quality' 'High' would result in a 2.2MB email, but it doesn't, its 6.4MB. And the JPEG file really is 6.4MB after emailing.

The image size is 19.1MB in both the original and emailed files when open in Photoshop.

If I drag and drop the original file from the Finder into Mail and send it a 2.2MB file is delivered.

What's PM doing to this file and how can I stop it?!

Set the quality lower.  The image obviously was not created originally at highest quality.  Turn Subsample chroma on as well which will save an additional 40% file size.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 01:35:54 AM »
The image obviously was not created originally at highest quality.

Yes, that is correct. I usually have a raw workflow but I need to shoot some small JPEGs for a project so shot some tests at a small size. My assumption was that PM would -- using the 'full size' option in the emailer -- just send the JPEG file 'as is'. But what's actually happening is PM decompresses the file and then re-compresses it to the emailer settings? I see that PM creates a 4.6MB JPEG when emailing the 'original' 2.2MB file (Subsample Chrome selected), Photoshop gives me a 4.0MB file when saving a copy at JPEG 12.

What I need to do then is work out what would be the best JPEG file size and quality settings in camera. I know that JPEG'ing a JPEG is a bad idea and what I've done here also increased the file size so that can't be good either. Is the correct answer to shoot at a full size JPEG setting so that PM is only downsizing? Then I just need to find the right settings in emailer to get me to around 2MB.

Thanks for your help.

DG

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:20:51 AM »
David,

Can you send me a screenshot of your settings in the Send Photos via Email dialog?  It is supposed to be possible to send the original without any re-encoding.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »
Here's the screenshot. These are the settings which create a file larger than the original. I have been able to get a 2MB file by using Subsample Chroma and a higher compression.

Just to confirm the image I'm emailing in the screenshot is a 2.1MB 3168 x 2112 px JPEG.

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:12:50 AM by davidgordon »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »
You can't have PM convert your pixels to sRGB without re-encoding the JPEG.  Turn that feature off and your originals should be sent (given no other changes to your current settings.)

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:41:22 AM »
Sorry, that doesn't seem to have done it...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 02:48:05 AM »
Just to add to the above, PM said the file would be 6.6MB (the original JPEG is 2.2MB). After emailing it arrived as a 4MB file.

Thanks

DG

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »
Hi,

I know this doesn't help your problem. But I've been setting up some email presets for PM and your query got me a little concerned, so I tested sending an original image (as above) to see if everything worked.

I sent a file 2.6MB file using Apple's Mail app (PM estimated it would be a 5.02MB) and the file received was exactly the same size as the original, 2.6MB (2,574,710 bytes). So the original file was indeed sent and received.

As I say, I appreciate this doesn't help your problem, but I just wanted to confirm that it should work. (PM 4.6.9 using MacOS 10.8.2)

All the very best.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 09:25:11 AM »
I've installed PM on an old Mac running 10.4.11 and successfully sent images via email without them increasing in size. I haven't touched any Preferences on the new install. Could there be a Preferences which I have changed to cause me this problem?

Thanks!

DG

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »
I've installed PM on an old Mac running 10.4.11 and successfully sent images via email without them increasing in size. I haven't touched any Preferences on the new install. Could there be a Preferences which I have changed to cause me this problem?

Possibly, but I don't know what they would be.  You could try starting anew with default preferences.

You can do this by first closing Photo Mechanic then going to the Finder and navigate to your Users/<user>/Library/Preferences/ where you'll find a folder called com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic and perhaps some com.camerabits files with a .plist extension. You can just drag these plist files to the trash, then rename the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder to com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.backup

Now when you start Photo Mechanic it should have a fresh set of preferences. Test to see if your issue is still there.

If this didn't have any effect you can restore your preferences by just deleting the new set created by Photo Mechanic, and renaming the backup folder to its original name.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 02:15:35 AM »
Possibly, but I don't know what they would be.  You could try starting anew with default preferences.

That worked!

The 'Send Photos via email' dialog box does insist the image will be larger but the actual file is now being sent 'as is'.

Many thanks Kirk, especially for replying with suggestions over the weekend. Much appreciated.

DG