Author Topic: What info will catlog read?  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
What info will catlog read?
« on: October 03, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »
I don't know what info you're permitted to release about the catalog app, but it would be helpful to know what IPTC fields can be read by the catalog app so that I can enter the appropriate data now.  Here is an example:

Photos are taken at three locations for ABC Building Supply.  I now enter the city, location (street address), state and country.  Because my current cataloging program does not read the Sublocation into the database, only displays it, I create a keyword hierarchy Places-Businesses-ABC Building Supply. This way, I can get all the ABC images if I want or narrow it down to specific locations.  If your cataloging program will read the sublocation, I can use that for ABC Building Supply instead of the keyword hierarchy.

This is just a simple example of why it would help to know what fields can be used to find images with the new cataloging program.  There are other situations and fields as well.

I understand if this information cannot be disclosed yet.  Just thought I'd ask in case you could provide some insight.  It could eliminate some backtracking later.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: What info will catlog read?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:31:00 AM »
I don't know what info you're permitted to release about the catalog app, but it would be helpful to know what IPTC fields can be read by the catalog app so that I can enter the appropriate data now.  Here is an example:

Photos are taken at three locations for ABC Building Supply.  I now enter the city, location (street address), state and country.  Because my current cataloging program does not read the Sublocation into the database, only displays it, I create a keyword hierarchy Places-Businesses-ABC Building Supply. This way, I can get all the ABC images if I want or narrow it down to specific locations.  If your cataloging program will read the sublocation, I can use that for ABC Building Supply instead of the keyword hierarchy.

This is just a simple example of why it would help to know what fields can be used to find images with the new cataloging program.  There are other situations and fields as well.

I understand if this information cannot be disclosed yet.  Just thought I'd ask in case you could provide some insight.  It could eliminate some backtracking later.

The Cataloging feature will index all of the data that the IPTC dialogs in PM 5 offer, including the Location field.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Re: What info will catlog read?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »
Thanks Kirk for the info.  That will be helpful when completing the IPTC info.

Woodie