Author Topic: PM5: CPU-Usage in standby  (Read 2275 times)

Offline BlueDevilHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5: CPU-Usage in standby
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:08:09 AM »
PM5 needs about 4-6% of CPU-time in standby and leads the processes with the highest CPU-usage. No Ingest or upload-Task is open.

If an upload-Task is open the CPU-usage increases to 7-8% without transfer and 11-12% with transfer. Same with Ingest-processes.

Is it possible to decrease this CPU-usage to nearly 0%?
A Photoshop CS6 in standby needs no CPU-time.

My battery in MacBook Pro has nearly 85% of capazity and it will be empty within a soccer game, so I have to shutdown the MacBook during the game.

My computer is a MacBook Pro Mid 2010 2,8 GHz, 8GB RAM with SSD and HDD.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:15:22 AM by BlueDevilHH »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5: CPU-Usage in standby
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:34:38 AM »
PM5 needs about 4-6% of CPU-time in standby and leads the processes with the highest CPU-usage. No Ingest or upload-Task is open.

If an upload-Task is open the CPU-usage increases to 7-8% without transfer and 11-12% with transfer. Same with Ingest-processes.

Is it possible to decrease this CPU-usage to nearly 0%?
A Photoshop CS6 in standby needs no CPU-time.

My battery in MacBook Pro has nearly 85% of capazity and it will be empty within a soccer game, so I have to shutdown the MacBook during the game.

Why would you have to shutdown the computer?  Can't you just close the lid and put it to sleep?  It shouldn't use much power at all then.

-Kirk

Offline BlueDevilHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 02:39:07 PM »
Helly Kirk,

that's what I do. But the problem is, that I have to go online manually, because some locations have no working Wifi-Connection and I have to use my Online-Stick. If I close the lid the connection will be lost. That's not effective.

I'm wondered what PM is doing after the start to get those high CPU-Usage with around 5%. In example Adobe Bridge uses about 0.5 % CPU-Power.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 03:11:54 PM »
PM runs timer callbacks for its various processing needs.

-Kirk