Author Topic: PM Freezes when I try to select tagged files  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
PM Freezes when I try to select tagged files
« on: October 03, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
Using PM 4.6.9.0 on Windows 7 Pro and 4 Gb memory. Preferences are Disk cache 1024 Mb. Reserve at least 512 Mb on disk cache volume. Memory cache size 512 Mb. Cache disk is located on C: drive which is pretty new.

In a sub directory I have tagged a number of images with the tick box marked. Up until now no problems with this.

Tonight I went into the directory and tried to View by: Tagged. The contact sheet freezes. Eventually I get an error message saying (Not responding) and Windows searching for a solution etc.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Freezes when I try to select tagged files
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »
Frank,

How many files are in the contact sheet?  Have all of the thumbnails loaded (titles change from red to black) before you switch to view Tagged files?

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 02:15:39 PM »
There are 116 files in the contact sheet. All are Nikon NEF files and the total size of the files is 2217.98 MB. All the thumbnail titles are black text. All the files do not appear to load. When I try and scroll down using the mouse at the side bar it freezes the entire programme again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:26:23 PM »
Frank,

There are 116 files in the contact sheet. All are Nikon NEF files and the total size of the files is 2217.98 MB. All the thumbnail titles are black text. All the files do not appear to load. When I try and scroll down using the mouse at the side bar it freezes the entire programme again.

Are all of these images known to be in good condition and not corrupted?

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 12:59:56 AM »
Just ran through the images in the sub directory and they all appear OK. Also did the same using Capture NX 2 and they appear OK. Capture NX has also been playing up, which is not unusual  but like a lot of us I have learned to live with it :(

This time the error reporting box appeared requesting info on what I was doing so I have sent it to you with the file it creates.

I also came out of everything and went into the directory using windows. All the images appeared as thumbnails OK and do not appear corrupt. Could it be the Tag selection box or the directory?

Thanks again.

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:31:18 AM »
Hi Kirk

Same problem as before.

Using contact sheet in a sub directory called South Uist. When I select Tagged in the top bar it takes its time to view the files. At present the Tagged box is partly open and the screen has gone to white out like a snow storm. Bottom bar is visible and now showing two copies of PM open, only opened one originally.

I have opened this sub directory and the images it contains using Capture NX 2 and Adobe Bridge and they are working OK. At present the only other software running is Microsoft Outlook but this problem still happens when I do not have any other software running and only using PM.

Last night Windows reported a problem with PM and saved a DMP file but it is over 25Mb so it won't let me send it. I still have that file on my hard drive if you need it.

Running Windows 7 Pro with 4 GB memory. PM is installed on a fairly new hard drive only a couple of months old. Photo Mechanic Version 4.6.9.

I have appended the zip file.

Regards

Frank Fitzpatrick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 12:45:44 AM »
Frank,

Using contact sheet in a sub directory called South Uist. When I select Tagged in the top bar it takes its time to view the files. At present the Tagged box is partly open and the screen has gone to white out like a snow storm. Bottom bar is visible and now showing two copies of PM open, only opened one originally.

I have opened this sub directory and the images it contains using Capture NX 2 and Adobe Bridge and they are working OK. At present the only other software running is Microsoft Outlook but this problem still happens when I do not have any other software running and only using PM.

Last night Windows reported a problem with PM and saved a DMP file but it is over 25Mb so it won't let me send it. I still have that file on my hard drive if you need it.

For an issue such as this I suggest contacting support directly via a phone call.  503-547-2888

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:06:05 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply Kirk.

As I am the UK can I contact them online/email?

Regards

Frank

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 02:25:08 AM »
Found the message page on the website and have been in touch with Support.

Thanks again for your help Kirk.

Frank

Offline Juan Benjumea

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
I need help:

My situations is that using a MAC, PM 5.0 freezes when I try to open files from an external disk.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »
Juan,

For an issue such as this I suggest contacting support directly via a phone call.  503-547-2888

-Kirk