Author Topic: Leica DNG problem  (Read 3902 times)

Offline TonyField

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Leica DNG problem
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »
I just acquired a Leica M9.  After import to PM 5, the image preview screen only shot a thumbnail size of image. The image statistics indicate a "full size" image however the only display is the thumbnail image.  Transfer from PM5 to photoshop does transfer the entire image.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Leica DNG problem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 01:41:08 AM »
Hi!

How does your "RAW" section in the PM Prefs look like?

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline louster1950

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:18:36 AM »
When shooting RAW only with my M9, the thumbnails seemed to take forever to generate on an iMac. One solution was to shoot RAW & JPEG. That speeds up the editing in PM, but slows the shooting on M9.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
Tony,

I just acquired a Leica M9.  After import to PM 5, the image preview screen only shot a thumbnail size of image. The image statistics indicate a "full size" image however the only display is the thumbnail image.  Transfer from PM5 to photoshop does transfer the entire image.

Leica cameras do not put full size previews in the DNG files they generate.  PM only has the low resolution thumbnail to show.  You can pass the DNG file through Adobe's free DNG Converter to update the preview with a much larger one if you like and PM will pick up on it and use it for previews.

Someone should get a petition going that requests Leica to put a decent sized preview in their DNG files.  They obviously have the ability to generate a JPEG and it isn't hard to embed one in a DNG file...

-Kirk