Author Topic: JPEG-Compression won't work at uploading-process  (Read 3018 times)

Offline BlueDevilHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
JPEG-Compression won't work at uploading-process
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:48:58 AM »
Hello!

With (my) common Version of PM 5 (Build 13230) it's not not possible to upload compressed jpeg's to the server with the "Limit file size to"-Preference.

The photo to transfer has 5801 KB on my MacBook Pro.
The result after uploading with the attached preferences is a file with 5.67 MB on the server.
No tried preferences will bring a file with nearly 2.5 MB. Only move the slider manually to lower quality is successfull.

Saving and uploading will result in 2 different files. If I save the same photo into another folder I get a file with 2698 KB.

With attached preferences I'm awaiting a file with max. Quality and MAX 2.5 MB

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:24:07 AM by BlueDevilHH »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: JPEG-Compression won't work at uploading-process
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:38:28 AM »
Hello!

With (my) common Version of PM 5 (Build 13230) it's not not possible to upload compressed jpeg's to the server with the "Limit file size to"-Preference.

The photo to transfer has 5801 KB on my MacBook Pro.
The result after uploading with the attached preferences is a file with 5.67 MB on the server.
No tried preferences will bring a file with nearly 2.5 MB. Only move the slider manually to lower quality is successfull.

Saving and uploading will result in 2 different files. If I save the same photo into another folder I get a file with 2698 KB.

With attached preferences I'm awaiting a file with max. Quality and MAX 2.5 MB

Set the JPEG quality to zero and set the limit to 2.5 MB.  Let Photo Mechanic determine the quality.  You can never have a full size image at 100% and a low file size.  It just isn't possible.

If you're not willing to accept lower quality, then you'll have to raise your minimum file size accordingly.

-Kirk

P.S. Please only upload JPEG screen shots, not TIFFs.  In order to view your screen shot one has to download the file, find it on their hard drive and view it with PM or some other application.

Offline BlueDevilHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: JPEG-Compression won't work at uploading-process
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:45:12 AM »
Hello Kirk,

thank you for this great support. It works!