Author Topic: IPTC field height  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
IPTC field height
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:24:09 AM »
Hi,
I'm using PM5 build 13158 on a Windows 7 64 bit PC and setting up the customised IPTC layout.
Are you able to edit the height of fields if the "Customise IPTC info" grid if the field isn't prepopulated with a value? I can change those that have existing values, but those that are blank don't seem to be editable.
Thanks,
Joel.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:26:06 AM by Joel Goodman »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC field height
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:34:56 AM »
Joel,

I'm using PM5 build 13158 on a Windows 7 64 bit PC and setting up the customised IPTC layout.
Are you able to edit the height of fields if the "Customise IPTC info" grid if the field isn't prepopulated with a value? I can change those that have existing values, but those that are blank don't seem to be editable.

When changing the 'height' of one of the table views (what you called a 'grid') you're really choosing the number of rows the table view displays before it gets a vertical scroll bar.  To add a row to one of these table views, click on the '+' button underneath the table view.  A new row will be created and then you can enter your information.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your reply. I cannot find a + symbol as you describe.

I am looking at the "Customize IPTC Stationary Pad" dialogue to control the layout of the "IPTC stationary pad" dialogue, as this is a feature I really wanted.

In the "Customize IPTC Stationary Pad" dialogue, there is a column headed "Lines". Some rows have a value under this column by default and, for those rows, I am able to edit this value. Most rows have no entry for this column - it's blank - and for those rows, I find I am unable to double click and change or input a value - it does not appear to be editable.

The same applies to the "Customize IPTC Info" dialogue.

I cannot see a "+" symbol anywhere in either of these dialogues.

Thanks,

Joel.

EDIT: I've tried the manual, but the link from within Photomechanic points towards a v4 manual and I cannot see a revised one for v5.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:00:34 AM by Joel Goodman »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »
Joel,

Thanks for your reply. I cannot find a + symbol as you describe.

The '+' button is in the actual IPTC Info and IPTC Stationery Pad dialogs.  Not in the customization dialogs.

Quote from: Joel Goodman
In the "Customize IPTC Stationary Pad" dialogue, there is a column headed "Lines". Some rows have a value under this column by default and, for those rows, I am able to edit this value. Most rows have no entry for this column - it's blank - and for those rows, I find I am unable to double click and change or input a value - it does not appear to be editable.

Those fields are single line fields and do not allow multiple lines.  Thus they do not offer the ability to change the number of rows.

-Kirk

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »
Thanks - that clarifies what I was trying to figure out: that only some fields' heights can be edited via the customise menus, not all.
Not major, but would be nice if you extended this functionality to all fields in the future.
Thanks for helping.
Joel.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 01:06:48 PM »
Joel,

Thanks - that clarifies what I was trying to figure out: that only some fields' heights can be edited via the customise menus, not all.
Not major, but would be nice if you extended this functionality to all fields in the future.

The fields that are not currently multi-line never will be multi-line fields.  The metadata specs for those fields do not expect new line characters to be in them.  It's just part of the specifications.

-Kirk