Author Topic: Crops in Raw + jpg not showing in Lightroom 4  (Read 4025 times)

Offline disci

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Website
Crops in Raw + jpg not showing in Lightroom 4
« on: October 17, 2012, 02:26:30 PM »
Hi

I have a  few areas of misunderstanding or difficulty with crops.

System: Newest build of PM5 (13444) on Win Vista 32.

1. My main issue is that crops which I add in PM either are not showing at all in Lightroom 4 (most recently), or there is sometimes a distinct time lag beween when I add the crop in PM and when it finally shows or appears in LR4. On my current set of images (RAW plus small jpg) the PM crops are definitley not showing in LR at all. Even if I click on "Read Metadata from File" in LR it makes no difference. I'm wondering if the crop info is only added to the jpg file (in my case), and then I'm only importing the RAW into LR and the crops aren't showing??

2. Also on cropping: I don't fully understand some aspects of the "Save Photo As" command. If "Source for RAW + JPG" is set to RAW, on Windows, the crops are not being applied in a saved jpg, even when "Cropping - Apply" is ticked.

3. Can I just check: the "Save Photo As" command will upscale a jpg, i.e., if you crop a tiny bit of a photo, and then save as a very large resolution, PM will 'obey' the required size (e.g., in 'Scaling - to custom width, height' even if it means 'upscaling' the image, i.e., 'inventing pixels'? This is not a complaint - just checking. If it is the case, I can consider adding a feature request to add an "Export - Don't enlarge" option as in Lightroom, for cases when you don't want to 'upsample' an image.

I've attached a trimmed screen dump showing my current Win IPTC/XMP settings as well as a few visible crops whcin are refusing to show up in Lightroom :).

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Des
Australia

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:29:14 PM by disci »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Crops in Raw + jpg not showing in Lightroom 4
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »
Des,

1. My main issue is that crops which I add in PM either are not showing at all in Lightroom 4 (most recently), or there is sometimes a distinct time lag beween when I add the crop in PM and when it finally shows or appears in LR4. On my current set of images (RAW plus small jpg) the PM crops are definitley not showing in LR at all. Even if I click on "Read Metadata from File" in LR it makes no difference. I'm wondering if the crop info is only added to the jpg file (in my case), and then I'm only importing the RAW into LR and the crops aren't showing??

It's hard to say without samples.  Can you provide some sample images (RAW+JPEG+XMP sidecar file)?

Quote from: disci
2. Also on cropping: I don't fully understand some aspects of the "Save Photo As" command. If "Source for RAW + JPG" is set to RAW, on Windows, the crops are not being applied in a saved jpg, even when "Cropping - Apply" is ticked.

It should work, however since the RAW file is not rendered, the embedded preview will be used as the source image for the crop.

Quote from: disci
3. Can I just check: the "Save Photo As" command will upscale a jpg, i.e., if you crop a tiny bit of a photo, and then save as a very large resolution, PM will 'obey' the required size (e.g., in 'Scaling - to custom width, height' even if it means 'upscaling' the image, i.e., 'inventing pixels'? This is not a complaint - just checking. If it is the case, I can consider adding a feature request to add an "Export - Don't enlarge" option as in Lightroom, for cases when you don't want to 'upsample' an image.

It would indeed scale the cropped image to match your dimensions.

-Kirk

Offline disci

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Website
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
Hi Kirk

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try to attach two jpg and sidecar files here.

Kirk if you need an original 30 MB raw file, would I send that through Dropbox?

Thanks for your time.

Des

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »
Des,

I'll try to attach two jpg and sidecar files here.

Kirk if you need an original 30 MB raw file, would I send that through Dropbox?

Sure, or I can give you our FTP server information privately and you can upload directly.  Let me know with a personal message how you would like to proceed.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline disci

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Website
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:32:31 PM »
Thanks Kirk

PM sent.

Des

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:10 AM »
Des,

Your RAW file has no crop on it.  Well, actually it does, but it has 100% coverage so the net result is there is no crop.  The corresponding JPEG file does have a crop.

We'll have to look into this, but in the meantime, you can split your RAW+JPEG pairs apart and crop the RAW files directly.

-Kirk

Offline disci

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Website
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:09:40 PM »
Thanks for undertaking to look into it Kirk.

Please note that this problem applies to points 1 and 2 in my original post, i.e.,
1. crops on raws not showing in LR , as well as
2. crops in raws not being applied when saving a raw as jpg.

Thanks again.

Regards

Des

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
Des,

Please note that this problem applies to points 1 and 2 in my original post, i.e.,
1. crops on raws not showing in LR , as well as
2. crops in raws not being applied when saving a raw as jpg.

I understand both points and both of them are caused by the issue that is responsible for your RAW file not having a valid crop on it.  A fix is in the works but in the meantime you can crop your RAW files separately from your JPEGs and point 1 and 2 should not be an issue.

Once the fix is in, you'll be able to crop RAW+JPEG and it will act like you directly cropped the RAW file.

-Kirk

Offline disci

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Website
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:35:08 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

Des