Author Topic: Find/Replace feature for file renaming?  (Read 8294 times)

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Find/Replace feature for file renaming?
« on: November 14, 2006, 07:24:32 AM »
I recently needed to take out a repeating string in a batch of images (_DSCXXXX.jpg), but found the rename function currently does not permit "find and replace" on the filenames themselves. Would it be possible to add this?

PS: In the above example, the XXXX is the frame number, but in these images the EXIF fields had been lost, so using the {frame4} variable was not an option. As a workaround, it would be possible to (1) copy {fbas} into an empty IPTC field, (2) run "find and replace" on the string within that field, and (3) rename the files based on the (modified) value in the field.

Thanks, as always,

Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Find/Replace feature for file renaming?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 07:44:38 AM »
Kevin,

I recently needed to take out a repeating string in a batch of images (_DSCXXXX.jpg), but found the rename function currently does not permit "find and replace" on the filenames themselves. Would it be possible to add this?

PS: In the above example, the XXXX is the frame number, but in these images the EXIF fields had been lost, so using the {frame4} variable was not an option. As a workaround, it would be possible to (1) copy {fbas} into an empty IPTC field, (2) run "find and replace" on the string within that field, and (3) rename the files based on the (modified) value in the field.

Yes, that would work.

I want to make the Find and Replace panel work with filenames in version 4.5.x (i.e. not the initial release but in an update.)

-Kirk

Offline kwell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Find/Replace feature for file renaming?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 08:04:14 AM »
Sometime in the 4.5-series would be great. I don't run into the need all that often (don't know about others), and there is a workaround, so this one is firmly in the "desirable but not urgent" bucket.

Thanks,

Kevin