Author Topic: Photo Mechanic to abandon professional market and target consumers  (Read 6113 times)

Offline mfryd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic to abandon professional market and target consumers

At least that's what it looks like to me.
  • They have replaced a very readable and workable interface with one that is prettier, but harder to read/use
  • Implementing the new "pretty" interface seems to have taken priority over implementing the long needed cataloging functionality
  • They are dropping real customer support, and replacing it with "Please be our facebook friend"

Perhaps I am wrong, but I can't think of another explanation for recent changes.

Up until now, Photo Mechanic has been exactly the program I needed for my workflow. 

My fear is that this won't end well.  These latest changes make the program less attractive to professionals, and the programs doesn't really have the functionality that consumers want (consumer's want facial recognition and blemish removal, not AP keywording).

The real problem is that by alienating their core audience of professional photographers, they will lose those sales.  Photo Mechanic doesn't have the features that consumers want, so they won't have much success in that market.   The real question is:  once finances are in the red, will they will have enough money left to successfully retarget and regain the professional market?

Oh well.  All good things must come to an end.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic to abandon professional market and target consumers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »

This is completely false.  Please see this posting:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7902.0

-Kirk

Offline mfryd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:23:30 PM »

This is completely false.  Please see this posting:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7902.0

-Kirk

Yes.  It sounds like there has been a real communications breakdown.

When I read my email this morning I was left with the impression that support was moving to facebook.  I am not the only one who was left with this impression.

Clearly, whoever wrote the email did not do a good job of getting across the intended message.

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 03:10:14 PM »
Same here - I got the email last night and had a WTF moment. After several reads I came to the conclusion that they were no longer going to provide support via facebook, twitter or google+ ... at least that is what I think was meant.

I suggest a rethink and resend with a clear message of what is meant!

Jerry

Offline Sysyphus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »
Glad I don't pay attention when an email mentions "Facebook".

They need customers the same as you. They want to expand their customer base, same as you.

Fewer customers could mean higher prices for us. Or worse, No Photo Mechanic.

This is the ONLY software developer (I have dealt with) that actually cares about their end product.

From what I have witnessed, they have gone way beyond most software developers in dealing with issues. That in itself speaks volumes.

From my experience, I don't see these guys resting because they have more customers. Most likely they see it as a challenge.

I don't know anyone at Camera Bits, but I do know a couple of software geeks (no offense) and these guys have a different mindset than most.

I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'm just a "tickled pink" customer.

PS I am not a professional photographer, but someone who is VERY particular about data. This software has proven to be a very valuable tool.

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 12:33:41 AM »
I agree, the email was very confusing to say the least, or rather inaccurate information was written and emailed to the core users. 

Perhaps someone should proof read before hitting the send button.

The Camera Bits Forums functioned perfectly by allowing for quick response to issues that were on the first builds of PM5 beta.

I believe this forum allows the professional photographer a direct connect immediate support around the clock, without the need surf around Facebook, or google+ or other internet hangouts looking for possible solutions to a problem that has deadlines on hold until it is solved. 

Thanks to the CB team for all the support above and beyond every day, 24/7. 

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:03:25 PM »
I just left this reply in the thread that Kirk references:

"Kirk, I truly believe the "communication breakdown" is on the part of Camerabits, not those of us who read the email.  To quote from the email I received:
"Starting this week, we will only use the Photo Mechanic feeds for tech support and software questions."

That sure sounds to me like the end of the Forum.  Yes, it does say we can use email and phone calls, but to me it sure gives the very distinct impression, given the "only use" statement above, that the Forum would no longer be a mechanism for tech support and software questions.  Might I respectfully suggest that you, Camerabits, send out a followup with a more clear statement."

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but when I see a message that says "we will only use the Photo Mechanic feeds" in the same paragraph and Facebook, Google+ and Twitter, I sure didn't think the "feeds" included the Forums.  As noted, I think an email clarification of policy, perhaps the same statement made in the referenced thread, would help to clear up the communication breakdown.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
I agree with you all. The e-mail was confusing, to say the least. But, fortunately, Kirk posted that thread on the forum clarifying things.
It is now obvious that things will continue the same regarding the forum and e-mail/phone support. They are just being extremely concerned with social media (I mean with its eventual problems).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi