Author Topic: Camera Bits Forums Closing Down?  (Read 8648 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Camera Bits Forums Closing Down?
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:38:51 AM »
I've had a slightly confusing email from CB which appears to say these user forums are closing. In future I'll need to ask any technical questions on Facebook, Google+ or Twitter.

That doesn't seem like a Very Good Idea to me, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

DG

Offline thomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Camera Bits Forums Closing Down?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 01:02:26 AM »
I've had a slightly confusing email from CB which appears to say these user forums are closing. In future I'll need to ask any technical questions on Facebook, Google+ or Twitter.

That doesn't seem like a Very Good Idea to me, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

DG

Yes - Camera Bits is now trying to hide from it´s customers in the jungle if social media, where you have to give up your privacy.
But - you are allowed to ask SIMPLE technical questions.
This is really a step in the wrong direction.

Cheers

Thomas

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 01:37:12 AM »

DG

Yes - Camera Bits is now trying to hide from it´s customers in the jungle if social media, where you have to give up your privacy.
But - you are allowed to ask SIMPLE technical questions.
This is really a step in the wrong direction.

Cheers

Thomas

You think!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:39:22 AM by Photo_op »
MacMini, 8 Meg RAM, OS X 10.8.2, PM 5, Lightroom 4.2, Sony 580, Fuji X10

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:53:14 AM »
What is the difference between tech support and software questions, which will be dealt with on the PM forums, and simple technical questions which will be dealt with on social media?

I hate social media, so this really is a bad move as far as I am concerned.

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 05:20:16 AM »
I just saw the same email, and I too am confused.  Somehow this is more important that getting the Catalog finished, or at least out for Public Beta?  And how, if the plan is to use Social Media, will we have one place to go to find an answer to a general question?

Very confusing to say the least.

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 05:26:34 AM »
Come on! You can post your question on Twitter in 146 characters AND refer to the screen shot of the issue in Google+. ????
MacMini, 8 Meg RAM, OS X 10.8.2, PM 5, Lightroom 4.2, Sony 580, Fuji X10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 06:04:06 AM »
David,

You've got the wrong end of the stick.  The forums aren't going anywhere and certainly aren't shutting down.

I have not personally seen that message (feel free to post it here) but I'm sure there is some sort of misunderstanding going on here.

-Kirk

Offline ralphdaily

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 06:07:25 AM »
Good!!!!  The email was so badly written it must have been done by a consultant.

Offline PGuyton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 06:10:25 AM »
Copied from the email:  (the source of the confusion)

Have tech questions specifically about Photo Mechanic?

Starting this week, we will only use the Photo Mechanic feeds for tech support and software questions. For simple technical questions about our software, you can use Photo Mechanic's Facebook, Google+ and Twitter accounts.

Have a question about your account, login information and private data?

Social networking hubs are not the place to talk about your private account information. Even if you feel comfortable talking about your info on private messages, we'd rather not risk your info going public. So give us a call or send us an email instead.

When dealing with sensitive information or a forgotten password, sometimes it helps take to talk with a real human. We invite you call us or email us Monday through Friday from 9-5 PST and we'll be happy to help you resolve your issues and get you back on track.

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 06:21:09 AM »
Quote"

We will no longer answer any software or tech support questions on the Camera Bits pages from here on out.
/quote

I must admit I have never seen a Facebook page and I don't believe it is going to happen. So this is a farewell to the exceptional service we have spoiled with up to now?  ::) :-X :-\ :o

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 06:27:09 AM »
Yea, I also found this very confusing.

Perhaps now that Nik has been absorbed by Google, Camera Bits is on the same path? That's a scary thought.

I don't use Google+ or Twitter, and only use Facebook mainly to keep up with some social contacts. If that's the way software sales and support is going, I can see less software in my future. Don't expect me to keep up with you by slogging through hundreds of Facebook posts a day. Seems to me somebody who's swallowed the social media kool-aid has sold someone on how this will be so much better, cheaper and less work. If it's less for Camera Bits but more for me, that isn't good value for the consumer.

Mick

Offline ralphdaily

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 08:22:57 AM »
For the record, here's the entire email.

"Camera Bits | Let's connect!

Hello again from Camera Bits!

Over the course of the next few weeks, Camera Bits will be making a change to our social networks and we want you to be the first to know. We hope this will make your communication with us a little easier. So, as we say in the office, "here's the bits."

Want to learn about discounts & special offers from our company?

The Camera Bits feeds will be integrated solely for corporate and public relations usage. This means any information about the company, new products, give-aways and promotional campaigns will be shown on Camera Bits' Facebook, Google+ and Twitter accounts.
 We will no longer answer any software or tech support questions on the Camera Bits pages from here on out.

Have tech questions specifically about Photo Mechanic?

Starting this week, we will only use the Photo Mechanic feeds for tech support and software questions. For simple technical questions about our software, you can use Photo Mechanic's Facebook, Google+ and Twitter accounts.

Have a question about your account, login information and private data?

Social networking hubs are not the place to talk about your private account information. Even if you feel comfortable talking about your info on private messages, we'd rather not risk your info going public. So give us a call or send us an email instead.

When dealing with sensitive information or a forgotten password, sometimes it helps take to talk with a real human. We invite you call us or email us Monday through Friday from 9-5 PST and we'll be happy to help you resolve your issues and get you back on track.

So, to put it briefly:

Feel free to call or email our offices with questions concerning:

- Any Sales or Online store issues

- Your private account information

- How to use Photo Mechanic specifically for your studio

- Any question that can't be answered in 160 characters.

Feel free to connect with us on Google+, Twitter or Facebook to:

- watch for sales and special discounts on our Camera Bits pages

- ask a simple tech question on our Photo Mechanic pages

- share an idea with our engineers or tell us you like our products!

Thank you all for being loyal Camera Bits customers. We hope this new way of communicating with us will help you get answers to your questions quickly and effectively!
-The Team at Camera Bits-"

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »
It is this specific sentence that is the most confusing:

Followed by this one:

Starting this week, we will only use the Photo Mechanic feeds for tech support and software questions.

It is unfortunate that those vague statements made it into the newsletter, but let me set your mind at ease:

The Camera Bits Forums are not going away and we encourage you to use them for technical questions instead of social media feeds.

I am now going to lock this thread.  Please see the sticky post at the top of this board for more details.

-Kirk