Author Topic: GIMP Compatability  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Joesboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
GIMP Compatability
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:11:59 AM »
I use the Open Source program GIMP for minor editing and compositing and it prefers to save file in what is labelled as XCF format to save non-destructive edits. Any chance of getting PM to recognize that format for display and IPTC info
Thanks
Bob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GIMP Compatability
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:46:14 AM »
Bob,

I use the Open Source program GIMP for minor editing and compositing and it prefers to save file in what is labelled as XCF format to save non-destructive edits. Any chance of getting PM to recognize that format for display and IPTC info

I looked over the documentation for the XCF file format and it appears that it doesn't offer a composite rendered layer that PM could use.  Without it, PM would have to be able to render the XCF file the same way GIMP does.

Maybe later they'll add an optional composite layer like Adobe did with Photoshop PSD files.  PM supports PSD files that have the composite layer, but does not support PSD files that don't contain the composite layer.  PM would have to basically have Adobe's proprietary rendering engine in order to support PSD files with missing composite layers.

So it's unlikely that PM will ever support GIMP's XCF file format.

-Kirk