Author Topic: PM and Lumix raw  (Read 10765 times)

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
PM and Lumix raw
« on: October 27, 2012, 07:50:26 AM »
PM seems not able to write metadata in  Lumix raw as it does for NEF,  why ?  The result is a lot of correspondent XMP files, I hate them.
May I hope something to clear my folders ?

Thanks
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM and Lumix raw
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:27:08 PM »
We have the ability to write to those files.  We turned on that ability in one of the PM 5 builds, but got reports that some applications had problems with embedded XMP in them so we turned it off.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 12:59:35 AM »
Thanks Kirk for your reply.
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:56:51 AM »
Try to go back to PM5, built 13158. This one could write IPTC to the RW2. I do it with no problem at all.

Every time I open PM now it tells me there is a new update (several in fact), I skip them. For what I do built 13158 works well, no crashes, no data loss. But I hope they solve their problem (not RW2 related) and turn it on again in the current releases.

As an alternative you may use Exiftool (ExiftoolGUI is the easy way).

Francis

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 09:09:55 AM »
Francis,

Try to go back to PM5, built 13158. This one could write IPTC to the RW2. I do it with no problem at all.

Every time I open PM now it tells me there is a new update (several in fact), I skip them. For what I do built 13158 works well, no crashes, no data loss. But I hope they solve their problem (not RW2 related) and turn it on again in the current releases.

Which problem that is not RW2-related is it that you hope we resolve?

-Kirk

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »
Ah Kirk,

I will have to find it back... it refers to a preceeding post some time ago in which you said you had to disable this possibility because it was causing problems.

Francis

Sorry, I made a confusion. In fact, in this announcement you said "Turned off support for embedding metadata in Panasonic Lumix RAW files because certain applications could no longer parse the files once metadata was embedded into them (Photoshop CS6, CaptureOne, Apple's ImageIO)."

So the problem is not in PM but in those "other applications". There was a short discussion about that (can't locate it) and I was hoping that you would make it an option, so people like me who don't use these programs could embed metadata into the RW2 from within PM during ingestion. It is easy to do with Exiftool though, and I keep built 13158 as long as it works for my worflow.

By the way: is it possible to install side by side two different built of PM5 on the same PC?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:33:05 AM by Franz Dur »

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 01:04:34 AM »
Francis, Kirk

I also remember that I had exchanged some information with Kirk, because the functions in PM5 built 13158 dealing with GPS coordinates (enter coordinates manually or from  a gpx file) didn't write the information to the RW2 file but to the XMP. Other functions to edit metadata did write to the RW2 ...
I hope this functionality will reappear as for NEF files.
Regards,
Frederic

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:49:35 AM »
Hi FDS,

I came across this problem yesterday: whatever way GPS info is entered (by hand, from map or from gpx file) it is written to an external xmp. No big deal since I use ASP (ex Bibble5) which read the infile metadata + the xmp GPS data et writes everything to the outgoing JPG, but it is a nuisance since I hoped to have an xmp budy free workflow.

I checked that both ACR 6.5 (from PSE9) and CaptureOne Express 6.4.4 can  open the RW2 with infile metadata + pick the GPS data in the budy xmp and write everything to a JPG.

So for me there is NO problem.

I have set up to two PM5 version side by side on a HD: PM5_Nikon (latest built) and PM5_Pana (built 13158). Seems to work fine.

Francis

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »
Francis,

I have used for many years Geosetter to enter GPS coordinates in pictures. This is a very nice program, able to embed coordinates in any Raw file in many different ways, thanks to ExitTools.
The only drawback is that it is much slower than PM, and add an extra step.
For NEF, Jpeg files, PM is incredibly fast. For RW2, it is as fast but add the extra xmp. This is certainly going to disapear when people at Camerabits will have time to solve the problem (certainly after the Catalogue is released).

Fredetic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »
Frederic,

I have used for many years Geosetter to enter GPS coordinates in pictures. This is a very nice program, able to embed coordinates in any Raw file in many different ways, thanks to ExitTools.
The only drawback is that it is much slower than PM, and add an extra step.
For NEF, Jpeg files, PM is incredibly fast. For RW2, it is as fast but add the extra xmp. This is certainly going to disapear when people at Camerabits will have time to solve the problem (certainly after the Catalogue is released).

There is no problem to solve.  It's the other software manufacturers that have the problem that would need to be fixed.  We write out embedded metadata in RW2 files the same way we write out embedded metadata in NEF and CR2 files.  It's just that the software in these other applications haven't been updated to handle embedded metadata.

We'll just have to make it an option for those who don't use those applications.

-Kirk

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »
Frederic,

I too used Geosetter, and still use it sometimes because of the nice integration with Geonames (really wish that PM would do this too). In many cases it populates the City, State etc.. fields very well, fast and efficient. And free....

But I would prefer to do everything related to ingestion from within PM, then simply go to Aftershot and then IMatch for cataloguing.

Francis

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 02:25:42 PM »
There is no problem to solve.  It's the other software manufacturers that have the problem that would need to be fixed.  We write out embedded metadata in RW2 files the same way we write out embedded metadata in NEF and CR2 files.  It's just that the software in these other applications haven't been updated to handle embedded metadata.

We'll just have to make it an option for those who don't use those applications.

-Kirk

Kirk,

In my hands there is no problem with ACR 6.5 and Capture One Express when I write the usual IPTC/xmp metadata to the RW2.

I have experimented quite a bit with Exiftool (ExiftoolGUI actually) and I only had problems when doing "forbidden" writes, like modifying some Exif tags that should be left alone, or entering long strings in IPTC fields that are lenght-limited in principle, but some programs accept longer strings, other just choke.

If you consider including a switch in the preferences to handle the RW2 problem so one has a choice it will be very useful

Francis

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 02:46:06 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I just would like to remind you this thread :
 http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7538.msg36034#msg36034
for the (small) problem I had with RW2 files (Lumix) and PM5 built 13158
For me, nothing urgent, just a step towards the 'perfect' product
Regards
Frederic
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 02:49:59 AM by Frederic »

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 05:23:49 AM »
Frederic,

I saw your post and as I wrote yesterday I have the same problem "whatever way GPS info is entered (by hand, from map or from gpx file) it is written to an external xmp. No big deal since I use ASP (ex Bibble5) which read the infile metadata + the xmp GPS data et writes everything to the outgoing JPG, but it is a nuisance since I hoped to have an xmp budy free workflow.".

I can live with it because I use ASP to convert NEF or RW2 to JPG/Tiff, and ASP picks up nicely and all by himself the metadata from the RW2 and the GPS data from the xmp. So no big deal (for me) other then having an xmp budy while I would prefer none.

Francis