Author Topic: Error copying last one or two images during Ingest  (Read 5047 times)

Offline manuel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Manuel Llaneras Photography
Error copying last one or two images during Ingest
« on: October 28, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »
When I ingest images with Photo Mechanic I sometimes get an error message that 1 image does not ingest, and it is always the last image on the card. A few times it's been the last 2 images that do not ingest, but most of the time it is just one. After I quit Photo Mechanic, I remount the CF card in question, and  I am able to copy the "failed" image(s) from the CF card into the ingest folder manually using the Finder (image is not harmed). Another thing to note, when I look at the "failed"" image in the CF card in the Finder before un-mounting the CF card and quitting PM it shows that that last image is corrupted, and if I try to copy it then, the computer locks up.

The ingest error message seems to happen on various CF cards used on different cameras. Also it seems to do it on different computers, and ingesting onto the computer, or onto an external drive.

The error does not occur every time, but I estimates it happens about 25% to 50% of the time. I ingested 7 cards from my most recent shoot, and the error occurred on 3 of the 7 cards.

What is causing this problem?

See the image of the error message in the Ingest Tasks window, and my settings in the image of the Ingest window.

Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 and at times various Canons used by assistant photographers.
Cards: Lexar, SandDisk, Lexington
Ingesting via PhotoMechanic 4.6.6
Computers: MacBook Pro (Leopard), iMac 27" (Lion)

Thanks, for any assistance.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Manuel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Error copying last one or two images during Ingest
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »
Manuel,

When I ingest images with Photo Mechanic I sometimes get an error message that 1 image does not ingest, and it is always the last image on the card. A few times it's been the last 2 images that do not ingest, but most of the time it is just one. After I quit Photo Mechanic, I remount the CF card in question, and  I am able to copy the "failed" image(s) from the CF card into the ingest folder manually using the Finder (image is not harmed). Another thing to note, when I look at the "failed"" image in the CF card in the Finder before un-mounting the CF card and quitting PM it shows that that last image is corrupted, and if I try to copy it then, the computer locks up.

The ingest error message seems to happen on various CF cards used on different cameras. Also it seems to do it on different computers, and ingesting onto the computer, or onto an external drive.

The error does not occur every time, but I estimates it happens about 25% to 50% of the time. I ingested 7 cards from my most recent shoot, and the error occurred on 3 of the 7 cards.

What is causing this problem?

See the image of the error message in the Ingest Tasks window, and my settings in the image of the Ingest window.

I don't know why that would happen specifically.

Are your cards extremely full when you're done shooting?  Mac OS X will create files and folders on your cards as soon as they're mounted and this can make the disk become completely full.

Are you editing on the card before you Ingest?  We never recommend doing that because errors can occur on full disks.

-Kirk

Offline manuel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:23:37 AM »

Are your cards extremely full when you're done shooting?  Mac OS X will create files and folders on your cards as soon as they're mounted and this can make the disk become completely full.

Are you editing on the card before you Ingest?  We never recommend doing that because errors can occur on full disks.

-Kirk

Kirk,

The three cards that had that problem were completely full (it said FULL on the camera).  Two of the four cards that did not have the problem were full (one said FULL and the other one was almost there).

I don't edit in the camera before I Ingest.

I like PM Ingest feature. It saves me time because I like to import the images into individual folders initially. I like how PM can automatically create the folders and put the images in them. It also helps me keep track, and I don't miss any cards. On the other hand, I waste time having to go back, re-mount the "problem" card(s) to download the last image or two.

The Mac OS creates folders on the cards and make them completely full, but that does not seem to cause any problems if I just drag the images in the card onto a folder using the Finder. The problem only occurs with PM. What is different about how PM handles the full cards?

Manuel

Manuel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:41:02 AM »
Manuel,

The three cards that had that problem were completely full (it said FULL on the camera).  Two of the four cards that did not have the problem were full (one said FULL and the other one was almost there).

I like PM Ingest feature. It saves me time because I like to import the images into individual folders initially. I like how PM can automatically create the folders and put the images in them. It also helps me keep track, and I don't miss any cards. On the other hand, I waste time having to go back, re-mount the "problem" card(s) to download the last image or two.

The Mac OS creates folders on the cards and make them completely full, but that does not seem to cause any problems if I just drag the images in the card onto a folder using the Finder. The problem only occurs with PM. What is different about how PM handles the full cards?

PM doesn't do anything different with cards that are full versus cards that are nearly full, or are mostly empty.  It just reads the files all the same.  If it gets errors when trying to read from the cards, it reports the error and moves onto the next file (if any.)

Does this only happen when ingesting several cards in a row?

-Kirk

Offline manuel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:58:27 AM »
Manuel,

PM doesn't do anything different with cards that are full versus cards that are nearly full, or are mostly empty.  It just reads the files all the same.  If it gets errors when trying to read from the cards, it reports the error and moves onto the next file (if any.)

-Kirk

Kirk,

I don't know if it only happens when ingesting several cards in a row. I'll keep an eye out for that. The next shoot I'll make sure I start out ingesting a full card and see if I get an error on the first one. Although, having a full card does not guarantee I'll get an error message. Sometimes PM does fine with a full card.

Also, I should note that when I ingest several in a row, I manually mount each card. I don't have a multi-slot card reader.

Where else should we look, if PM does not do anything different when ingesting the cards? Although, PM encounters errors in the same full card that the Finder does not. Is there anything about the Ingest settings I should try differently?

Manuel

Manuel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:37:47 AM »
Manuel,

I don't know if it only happens when ingesting several cards in a row. I'll keep an eye out for that. The next shoot I'll make sure I start out ingesting a full card and see if I get an error on the first one. Although, having a full card does not guarantee I'll get an error message. Sometimes PM does fine with a full card.

Also, I should note that when I ingest several in a row, I manually mount each card. I don't have a multi-slot card reader.

Where else should we look, if PM does not do anything different when ingesting the cards? Although, PM encounters errors in the same full card that the Finder does not. Is there anything about the Ingest settings I should try differently?

No ingest settings will change how individual files are copied when they're copied.

I suggest trying not to get your cards 100% full before you stop shooting.  Switch to another card before it gets a 'Card Full' warning/error in the camera.

Do you format your cards each time you put them back in your camera?  We recommend that you do so.  It will eliminate any problems that Apple's extra files/folders might create.

-Kirk

Offline manuel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
Kirk,

I format the cards before I put them back in the camera as you suggest.

I thought about not letting the cards fill up when shooting, but in a fast paced wedding shoot that is not always going to be practical. But, I can try that when possible.

You said that PM reads the files all the same, and if it gets errors when trying to read, it reports the error and does not download the file in question. It just moves onto the next file (if any). If I quit PM and remount the card the Finder does not show that the "problem" file has any problem, and I can download it. If the Finder shows no error, isn't PM reporting a false error? Is there something different about how the two read the cards?

BTW, I just ingested three cards from a new job using PM Ingest, and there were no error messages and all the images were ingested. The first card was 100% full, the second was almost full, and the third one had plenty of room. It does not always report an error with a full card.

Manuel
Manuel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »
Manuel,

I thought about not letting the cards fill up when shooting, but in a fast paced wedding shoot that is not always going to be practical. But, I can try that when possible.

You said that PM reads the files all the same, and if it gets errors when trying to read, it reports the error and does not download the file in question. It just moves onto the next file (if any). If I quit PM and remount the card the Finder does not show that the "problem" file has any problem, and I can download it. If the Finder shows no error, isn't PM reporting a false error? Is there something different about how the two read the cards?

BTW, I just ingested three cards from a new job using PM Ingest, and there were no error messages and all the images were ingested. The first card was 100% full, the second was almost full, and the third one had plenty of room. It does not always report an error with a full card.

It is certain that PM does not copy files the same way the Finder does.  Apple has its own code to copy files.  Photo Mechanic has two methods that it uses to copy files depending on whether you've asked PM to apply IPTC Stationery during the Ingest.  If you tell PM to apply IPTC Stationery it uses its own specialized copy routines that allow it to optimize both the transfer of the data and insert the metadata from the IPTC Stationery Pad.  If you do not apply any metadata then it uses an OS-supplied routine to copy the files.  Either method is capable of getting errors.

Do you apply IPTC Stationery during your Ingest?

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:03:32 AM »
I am noticing the same issue and this has not happened to me before...
OSX 10.7.5
MBP 16gb ram
Latest build PM
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:19:27 AM »
Marc,

OSX 10.7.5
MBP 16gb ram
Latest build PM

Perhaps you could answer the same questions I asked Manuel then?

-Kirk

Offline manuel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
Manuel,

It is certain that PM does not copy files the same way the Finder does.  Apple has its own code to copy files.  Photo Mechanic has two methods that it uses to copy files depending on whether you've asked PM to apply IPTC Stationery during the Ingest.  If you tell PM to apply IPTC Stationery it uses its own specialized copy routines that allow it to optimize both the transfer of the data and insert the metadata from the IPTC Stationery Pad.  If you do not apply any metadata then it uses an OS-supplied routine to copy the files.  Either method is capable of getting errors.

Do you apply IPTC Stationery during your Ingest?

-Kirk

Kirk,

No, I do not apply IPTC Stationery during ingest.

Manuel
Manuel

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 08:40:01 PM »
Marc,

OSX 10.7.5
MBP 16gb ram
Latest build PM

Perhaps you could answer the same questions I asked Manuel then?

-Kirk

The cards are full, but that is not unusual for me over the years...and I haven't noticed this before.
I never edit on the card.
I almost always apply metadata.
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 02:53:05 PM »
Manuel,

Please get PM 4.6.9 from our website:

For your Lion system:

http://camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanic4.6.9.dmg.gz

For your Leopard system:

http://camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicLegacy4.6.9.dmg.gz

PM 4.6.8 and higher don't have the problem that you're having.  I'm sorry I didn't read your original post more closely, I thought you were using PM 5.

-Kirk

P.S. I'm sending you a personal message as well.

Offline manuel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »
Manuel,

Please get PM 4.6.9 from our website:

For your Lion system:

http://camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanic4.6.9.dmg.gz

For your Leopard system:

http://camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicLegacy4.6.9.dmg.gz

PM 4.6.8 and higher don't have the problem that you're having.  I'm sorry I didn't read your original post more closely, I thought you were using PM 5.

-Kirk

P.S. I'm sending you a personal message as well.

Kirk,

On my Lion system I am using 4.6.9. My mistake for not putting that down in the original thread. Since I use the Leopard laptop often for ingesting, I probably did not notice the problem stopped occurring on the Lion system with PM 4.6.9.

On my laptop's Leopard system, I am using 4.6.6, so I will upgrade to PM 4.6.9. The errors that I was reporting lately occurred on the laptop. That seems consistent with what you are saying about the PM versions and this issue.

Thanks so much for your help.

Manuel