Author Topic: XMP Sidecar files with JPEGs?  (Read 8949 times)

Offline tysone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
XMP Sidecar files with JPEGs?
« on: November 14, 2006, 02:47:16 PM »
I've only started to dig... but is there any way to creat XMP sidecar files when copying/saving JPEGs out of PhotoMechanic?

We have a production system that looks for the sidecar files before importing/processing images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: XMP Sidecar files with JPEGs?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 03:11:23 PM »
I've only started to dig... but is there any way to creat XMP sidecar files when copying/saving JPEGs out of PhotoMechanic?

We have a production system that looks for the sidecar files before importing/processing images.

JPEGs do not need sidecar files for XMP and Photo Mechanic doesn't support them for JPEGs.  XMP can and is embedded directly into the JPEG.

Can your system look into the JPEGs themselves for the XMP data?

-Kirk

Offline tysone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 03:19:05 PM »
It's a system we're evaluating (not yet implemented), so not sure exactly what it can and can't do. They demo'ed it with JPEGs and sidecar files, so wanted to check on PM's functionality in that realm.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »
It's a system we're evaluating (not yet implemented), so not sure exactly what it can and can't do. They demo'ed it with JPEGs and sidecar files, so wanted to check on PM's functionality in that realm.

What application generated the sidecar files for JPEGs?  It seems odd since the JPEG file format supports the embedding of just about any kind of data.

-Kirk

Offline tysone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 03:45:49 PM »
I believe they mentioned FotoStation. It may have been a XML, not XMP file. Could PhotoMechanic export XML sidecars along with JPEGs (with identical filenames)?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 04:13:09 PM »
I believe they mentioned FotoStation. It may have been a XML, not XMP file. Could PhotoMechanic export XML sidecars along with JPEGs (with identical filenames)?

Sure, you can export as XML, but it isn't XMP that is produced.  We could easily add a feature to export XMP from various file formats, but PM wouldn't use XMP files for image types that support embedded XMP (TIFF, JPEG and PSD).

-Kirk

Offline tysone

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the quick replies. Will wait until I see a bit more of this system to determine what functionality we're specifically after.