Author Topic: Automated Stripping of Color Class  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Ed Wolfstein

• Ed Wolfstein - Photographer
    • View Profile
    • PhotoSelter
Automated Stripping of Color Class
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »
This would be a toggled feature, as many DON'T want it:

After I assign a color class to a bunch of images, I edit the images in a folder using Photoshop. Sometimes I notice an image is not sharp in Photoshop and don't bother working on the file - just closing it without saving. The ones that I've cropped or adjusted in Photoshop come back to Photo Mechanic with the same color class as the ones that haven't been edited.

The feature I'd like is somehow for PM to strip the Color Class away from the edited ones or maybe assign a different Color Class, keeping the original Color Class on the un-edited ones.

Reason: If I come back to a folder a day later, I can immediately see which ones are left to edit. If I toggle the "Hide Color Class" OFF for the edited ones, I can immediately see where I've left off in editing, and even see which ones to trash after leaving Photoshop. Am I making any sense? My work around has been sorting by Modification Time, with the edited files dropping to the bottom of the Contact Sheet.

Kirk explained why the "stripping feature" was lost in PM5, and I thought I could work around it (and I have) but after months of this, I'd really like to have this back in my workflow.

Cheers!

- Ed.
Ed Wolfstein - Photographer
100 Church Street
Burlington, Vermont, 05401 USA

http://www.edpix.com
802-864-8334

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Automated Stripping of Color Class
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 01:57:40 PM »
Hi Ed, would the use of the {software} variable in e.g., the info text or as label on he contact sheet work for this purpose? The variable will say Photoshop for the ones you edited and something else (for nikon cameras it shows the firware of he camera for instance) for the ones you didn't touch.

Hope this helps,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Hi, Hayo
This variable {software} does not seem to distinguish between the photos edited in DPP and those that were not...all of them get marked with the firmware of the camera.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 06:10:27 PM »
Luiz,

This variable {software} does not seem to distinguish between the photos edited in DPP and those that were not...all of them get marked with the firmware of the camera.

Not all software updates the firmware (software) when it makes changes to images.

-Kirk

Offline Ed Wolfstein

• Ed Wolfstein - Photographer
    • View Profile
    • PhotoSelter
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »
Curious that Photoshop strips the camera Serial Number, Flash Compensation, and the Focus Mode (and perhaps other stuff too) after saving a file. Maybe I can use one of those variables to tag a file as having been edited. Hmmmm.....
Ed Wolfstein - Photographer
100 Church Street
Burlington, Vermont, 05401 USA

http://www.edpix.com
802-864-8334

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 02:19:16 AM »
Thanks for your quick reply, Kirk
regards,