Author Topic: Searching by file type  (Read 3966 times)

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Searching by file type
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »
Hello,

I just discovered the powerful search tool in the edit menu but I am having trouble searching by file type.  I want to just find my raw files (.nef).  I do it now in Spotlight but it would be so great to be able to make a contact sheet of all .nef files I have shot over a certain time range.  I am using a Mac, OS 10.6.8 and Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13444 (c5a5ad3).

Right now it searches the folder but returns all of the jpegs and tiffs too.

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Searching by file type
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 02:46:01 PM »
Try entering NNEF instead.

-Kirk

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 03:24:33 PM »
Hmmm, it doesn't seem to work.  The search initiates but nothing is found.... I'll attach another screen showing what I entered, maybe something wrong.  I limited it to one folder to make it easier.

Thanks Kirk!

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
Hey, this works but it also finds images which I have worked on since the capture date even though the capture date is correct in the file.  See the right side of the screenshot - one from before the search time and one after.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:13:18 PM »
It is likely that Spotlight uses the modification date on RAW files.

-Kirk

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »
Yeah, looks like it.  Does the same when just using Spotlight.  Any idea why the NNEF search doesn't work though?  This is really great for doing batch processing.  I saved a shortcut and save thousands of images out to send in to the copyright office, huge time-saver.

Appreciate your efforts!

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 04:01:53 AM »
Hi,
If I am not mistaken, the Search in PM uses Spotlight.
regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 12:27:20 PM »
Hey, I made some progress on this one.... It is Spotlight of course and it does change the Creation Date when I make a change to a file.  But I found a great piece of software called "A Better Finder Attributes 5" and I changed all of the creation dates back to the EXIF time stamps, worked great!  Now if I could just figure out how to search by file extension in Photo Mechanic because I just want to see my NEF files....

Cheers,

Will

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
Hey, I made some progress on this one.... It is Spotlight of course and it does change the Creation Date when I make a change to a file.  But I found a great piece of software called "A Better Finder Attributes 5" and I changed all of the creation dates back to the EXIF time stamps, worked great!  Now if I could just figure out how to search by file extension in Photo Mechanic because I just want to see my NEF files....

Cheers,

Will

Hi, Will
You should use the Search in the Edit menu in the same way...check the left scroll-down option and you will find the "File type". You can also restricit your search to a certain folder and open the results in a new contact sheet.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 11:19:29 PM »
Hi Luiz,

Yes, this is exactly what I tried but the "File Type" only works for tiffs on my mac.  Doesn't work for Jpeg, PNG, NEF, etc.  I think it is because Spotlight searches by extension.  I can search by the extension "nef" and spotlight finds them all....  If Photo Mechanic could search by both date and file type it would greatly increase my copyrighting workflow speed.

Thanks for your help,

Will