Author Topic: DNG preview not updated in contact sheet  (Read 7445 times)

Offline kianahaeri

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
DNG preview not updated in contact sheet
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:36:36 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 5 and I run Mac OS X 10.8.2 on my Intel-based Mac. I am just making the transition from adobe bridge to photomechanic, so far has been painful and problematic on so many levels.

I shoot RAW with few different cameras but mainly my Nikon. I have kept my entire archive as DNG ever since i started shooting formally and would like to keep it the same. the problem i am facing in PM is when i make any adjustment or editing on the DNG files through PS camera raw, the adjustment does not show up on PM contact sheet. any clue on how i am supposed to fix this issue?

also when i ingest from memory card, is the an easy way to directly convert the fils from NEF (for example) to DNG? I read somewhere on the forum that if adobe DNG convertor is downloaded, there's a way around it. Have downloaded it but can't figure out how to automate it.

Any help is much appreciate it. i really hope i don't regret making the transition.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: DNG preview not updated in contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:47:52 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 5 and I run Mac OS X 10.8.2 on my Intel-based Mac. I am just making the transition from adobe bridge to photomechanic, so far has been painful and problematic on so many levels.

I shoot RAW with few different cameras but mainly my Nikon. I have kept my entire archive as DNG ever since i started shooting formally and would like to keep it the same. the problem i am facing in PM is when i make any adjustment or editing on the DNG files through PS camera raw, the adjustment does not show up on PM contact sheet. any clue on how i am supposed to fix this issue?

You need to get the preview updated in the DNG file.  Are you saving from the ACR plugin?

Quote from: kianahaeri
also when i ingest from memory card, is the an easy way to directly convert the fils from NEF (for example) to DNG? I read somewhere on the forum that if adobe DNG convertor is downloaded, there's a way around it. Have downloaded it but can't figure out how to automate it.

You can't do it during Ingest, but you can do it afterwards.  Use the "Convert RAW to DNG..." command on the Tools menu.

-Kirk

Offline kianahaeri

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 01:22:59 AM »
preview updated in DNG file?! doesn't it get updated automatically. comparing it to bridge, it automatically gets updated there.
and from ACR plugin, i just hit done. i don't use "save it as..."

meh. thanks for the help.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 07:50:18 AM »
preview updated in DNG file?! doesn't it get updated automatically. comparing it to bridge, it automatically gets updated there.
and from ACR plugin, i just hit done. i don't use "save it as..."

Bridge renders DNG files just like any other "RAW" file.  Photo Mechanic does not have access to the proprietary rendering engine that Adobe has created.

If the embedded preview is not updated to reflect your edits, PM has no way of recreating the rendering according to Adobe's algorithms.

-Kirk

Offline kianahaeri

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »
Really?!?! ??? there's no way around it?!?! that makes PM absolutely useless. what's the point of looking at raw RAW photos?? what a waste of money, seriously!!!!

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:04:47 AM »
Really?!?! ??? there's no way around it?!?! that makes PM absolutely useless. what's the point of looking at raw RAW photos?? what a waste of money, seriously!!!!

I'm sorry you feel that way.  Many people use PM every day with their RAW files without complaint.

Photo Mechanic is not a RAW converter.  And it works quite well with RAW files for most folks.  DNG files are quite capable of having their embedded previews updated and PM will show the updated preview just fine.  Is there some reason you can't get the DNG file updated in your workflow?

Did you not take advantage of our free trial period to see that it worked well for your needs?

-Kirk

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »
Please see this thread on how to get your DNG previews updated on Lightroom:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7985.0

-Kirk

Offline kianahaeri

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:26:07 AM »
Hi Kirk
thanks for the update. sorry i had been on the road and a bit behind with work. Yes, i had tried PM as a trial and did have the same issue. but a friend of mine told me it's fixable so unfortunately i didn't put the time into figuring that issue out, instead played around with other functions.
I will go ahead and try out the instructions out of the other threads and will update you about the results.
cheers,
Kiana

Offline kianahaeri

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 04:33:53 AM »
The procédure didn't work for me. funny enough the other guy has that problem in LR but no problem with bridge. my setting was set as you had instructed, still no update in DNG preview. yikes!

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 06:22:11 AM »
The procédure didn't work for me. funny enough the other guy has that problem in LR but no problem with bridge. my setting was set as you had instructed, still no update in DNG preview. yikes!

Just to be clear then, which program(s) are you using, and of those program(s) which one(s) are not updating the preview in your DNG files?

-Kirk

Offline kianahaeri

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 04:16:10 AM »
I now use Camera Raw (PS 6) and Photomechanic 5 and the preview for DNG files does not get updated in PM.

Previously I used to work on Camera Raw (PS 6) and adobe bridge (PS 6) and have no problem with DNG files being updated in bridge.

Thanks kirk for looking into this. i really appreciate it.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 07:36:21 AM »
I now use Camera Raw (PS 6) and Photomechanic 5 and the preview for DNG files does not get updated in PM.

Previously I used to work on Camera Raw (PS 6) and adobe bridge (PS 6) and have no problem with DNG files being updated in bridge.

OK, so from the ACR dialog after you have made your adjustments.  Click on the "menu widget" button on the right side of the tab header and choose "Update DNG Previews" from the popup menu.  I suggest changing the preview size to "Full Size" if it isn't already set and then click the OK button (or press Enter on your keyboard).  Now when you return to PM the preview should reflect your changes.

Here is an example image showing the menu widget button and the popup menu.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kianahaeri

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 07:40:59 AM »
IT WORKED!!!! that'a amazing!!! thank you Kirk!