Author Topic: Images already tagged on a card  (Read 1946 times)

Offline scofie65

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Images already tagged on a card
« on: October 24, 2012, 01:25:10 PM »
I remember in PM 4 when you put a card in and tagged images, worked on, then removed the card, used it again in camera, and put it back into PM 4, the tagged images would still be "tagged" so you knew what images you had used.
In PM5, when I put a card back into PM5 the already tagged images are not tagged, but if you have cropped an image, the crop in shown.
So is there a way to keep the tagged images tagged?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Images already tagged on a card
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 01:53:35 PM »
I remember in PM 4 when you put a card in and tagged images, worked on, then removed the card, used it again in camera, and put it back into PM 4, the tagged images would still be "tagged" so you knew what images you had used.
In PM5, when I put a card back into PM5 the already tagged images are not tagged, but if you have cropped an image, the crop in shown.
So is there a way to keep the tagged images tagged?

Sure.  In the Files section of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, set the checkbox titled "Allow modification of files on Camera Disks ( not recommended ! )" and agree to the disclaimer.

It is far safer to Ingest first and then edit rather than edit directly on the card.  Setting the above checkbox will allow Photo Mechanic to write to your camera cards even though we don't recommend it.

-Kirk

Offline GSmith1644

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »
For those of us that edit on deadline, ingesting images is not practical. PM 4 allowed me to tag, title, keyword and then edit in Photoshop before sending to an editor. Now, if I try that in PM5, the metadata is not saved. Instead of a 'workaround' fix, it would be helpful to have this be more recognized than having to check off a disclaimer box.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:00:14 AM »
For those of us that edit on deadline, ingesting images is not practical. PM 4 allowed me to tag, title, keyword and then edit in Photoshop before sending to an editor. Now, if I try that in PM5, the metadata is not saved. Instead of a 'workaround' fix, it would be helpful to have this be more recognized than having to check off a disclaimer box.

I'm not sure how you see that enabling the old behavior is a 'workaround fix'?

What would you suggest we do to warn people that the behavior has changed?  Editing on the card is a risky thing and we no longer have that ability enabled by default.  Too many people have edited on full or nearly full cards and have lost images.  We have the customer support calls to back up this assertion.

-Kirk