Author Topic: Helpful hints on addressing 4 TB of photo files before Photo Mechanics  (Read 6370 times)

Offline gregory matthews

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am running Photo Mechanic version 5.0 and I run Mac OS X 10.8.2 on my Intel-based iMac.

I looked thought the forum but could not find suggestions on how to address the the meta data and other information on my existing images which currently absorb take 2 TB of file space.

Would appreciate some direction on how to modify, so that i can begin to get some standardization and sanity to my life.

Thanks

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Helpful hints on addressing 4 TB of photo files before Photo Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 5.0 and I run Mac OS X 10.8.2 on my Intel-based iMac.

I looked thought the forum but could not find suggestions on how to address the the meta data and other information on my existing images which currently absorb take 2 TB of file space.

Would appreciate some direction on how to modify, so that i can begin to get some standardization and sanity to my life.

Photo Mechanic browses your files wherever they are.  No special preparation is necessary.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question?

-Kirk

Offline gregory matthews

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 08:29:53 AM »
Is it possible to rest meta data and itpc data on existing files -- other than on a one at a time basis?

That does not seem possible.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
Is it possible to rest meta data and itpc data on existing files -- other than on a one at a time basis?

That does not seem possible.

Reset?

What is is that you're trying to do?

Photo Mechanic can certainly apply metadata in bulk via the IPTC Stationery Pad.

-Kirk

Offline gregory matthews

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 12:40:22 PM »
Here is the issue, i have images that have been saved to a series of folders and sub folders using photoshop and NXttansfer.

I have no applied any consistent data in the Meta files or IPTC entries. Can in now go back open those files with say 400 separate images  and apply a new set of Data for all the IPTC entries? What i would like is to have the old file data be similar to what is now being entered through Photo mecanics when i ingest a new flash card.

Does this make any sense?

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »
Here is the issue, i have images that have been saved to a series of folders and sub folders using photoshop and NXttansfer.

I have no applied any consistent data in the Meta files or IPTC entries. Can in now go back open those files with say 400 separate images  and apply a new set of Data for all the IPTC entries? What i would like is to have the old file data be similar to what is now being entered through Photo mecanics when i ingest a new flash card.

Does this make any sense?

Sure.  During Ingest, you're applying an IPTC Stationery Pad.  Just do the same thing by opening up the existing folders, selecting all images, and then apply your IPTC Stationery Pad.

Their metadata will be very similar to the images you've recently Ingested.

-Kirk

Offline gregory matthews

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »
Got it, and that part seems to be an easy process. The software is quite elegant, just getting my arms around it is ia monumental task.

Do you have a sample template with the most common elements and variables that i can use as a starting point?

If so how can i access that templat?.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:55:20 AM »
Gregory,

Got it, and that part seems to be an easy process. The software is quite elegant, just getting my arms around it is ia monumental task.

Do you have a sample template with the most common elements and variables that i can use as a starting point?

No.  Generally people just use variables related to dates, times, shooting data, etc. in fields that they like to work with.  It's up to you to decide what data you want put into your IPTC/XMP data.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 03:53:17 PM »

If so how can i access that templat?.

This is a quite common caption to use: Who does what and why in {city}, {country} on {monthname} {day0}, {year4}. {photog}
It needs you to fill City, Country and Photographer fields and you are free to fill any others too. Category, Keyword, Persons shown and similar are handy to be filled.

For later reference I prefer to store original filename and my standard filenames in some of the fields I don't use for anything else.
During ingest I also rename the files to have an individual filename across all my photos having the date and a camera identifier in the filename so I never have the same filename repeating in any of my shoots even if I shoot more than one cameras. It can help later looking up hard drives for a specific photo by its original filename.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »
Hi, Gregory
I use the Status section of the IPTC panel to display some exif information, like ISO, lens, focal distance, shutter speed, aperture and filename.
See the picture attached as an example.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline janeenadamsmartin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 06:09:47 AM »
What is the purpose of storing EXIF info in the IPTC panel?   (Isn't it already somewhere in the jpg and available for access if needed?)

jan

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »
What is the purpose of storing EXIF info in the IPTC panel?   (Isn't it already somewhere in the jpg and available for access if needed?)

jan

Jan,
The idea is to store this piece of information also in the IPTC, as it is so important for a photographer (ISO, lens, focal distance, shutter speed and aperture).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Hi Luiz,

I am missing the nuance of "why?"   When someone wants to see metadata doesn't it all show up (EXIF, IPTC and XMP) with any query?

I am a little new to this, but I assumed all Metadata was accessible by most tools.  Some of the metatdata was provided by the camera (EXIF), some by the photographer (IPTC) and some by the editing software (XMP).

Do I have the right?

jan

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
Hi Luiz,

I am missing the nuance of "why?"   When someone wants to see metadata doesn't it all show up (EXIF, IPTC and XMP) with any query?

I am a little new to this, but I assumed all Metadata was accessible by most tools.  Some of the metatdata was provided by the camera (EXIF), some by the photographer (IPTC) and some by the editing software (XMP).

Do I have the right?

jan

Jan, yes I think you're right. I guess though for some people it is easier to have this piece of info (also) visible in the IPTC info. This is what's so powerful of PM; one can use it in a way that suit one best. Personally I have set up the “info text” to give me all the info I want to see (exit and IPTC alike).

Cheers,
Hayo Baan
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 06:46:36 AM »
Well, that said, since I am not using those fields anyway -- I'm copying you guys!   ;D