Author Topic: Preference Settings for PM5 and Lightroom with DNG  (Read 8747 times)

Offline AngusP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preference Settings for PM5 and Lightroom with DNG
« on: November 27, 2012, 01:25:12 AM »
I'm using OS X 10.8.2 on an iMac with PM5, Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4.2.  I'm an enthusiastic novice.

My apologies, but I can't find what I'm looking for either in Resources or in the Forum and I'm getting rather confused and frustrated, probably because I don't fully understand the terms, IPTC, XMP and the like.

I've just purchased Lightroom 4.2.  My workflow involves loading NEF files into PM5, converting to an embedded DNG, culling, adding keywords, etc.  When editing a DNG in Bridge, eg conversion to B&W, the changes are reflected in the image shown in the contact sheet in PM5.   However, if I edit in Lightroom and then switch back to PM5, the image edits are not shown.

Can you pls provide me with a screenshot of the Preference Settings that I need to make in PM5 (and Lightroom, if possible) to enable edits made in Lightroom and Bridge to show correctly in PM5?  Can you also pls show the Preference Settings required for star ratings and colour labels to run consistently between the three products?

Thanks you.

Angus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preference Settings for PM5 and Lightroom with DNG
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:05:17 AM »
Angus,

I'm using OS X 10.8.2 on an iMac with PM5, Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4.2.  I'm an enthusiastic novice.

My apologies, but I can't find what I'm looking for either in Resources or in the Forum and I'm getting rather confused and frustrated, probably because I don't fully understand the terms, IPTC, XMP and the like.

I've just purchased Lightroom 4.2.  My workflow involves loading NEF files into PM5, converting to an embedded DNG, culling, adding keywords, etc.  When editing a DNG in Bridge, eg conversion to B&W, the changes are reflected in the image shown in the contact sheet in PM5.   However, if I edit in Lightroom and then switch back to PM5, the image edits are not shown.

You'll need to instruct Lightroom to update the actual DNG files instead of updating the previews stored in its cache database.  I don't know what that setting is specifically, but it should be possible.

Quote from: AngusP
Can you pls provide me with a screenshot of the Preference Settings that I need to make in PM5 (and Lightroom, if possible) to enable edits made in Lightroom and Bridge to show correctly in PM5?  Can you also pls show the Preference Settings required for star ratings and colour labels to run consistently between the three products?

If the preview embedded into the DNG file is not updated after your adjustments, then the changes will not appear in Photo Mechanic.  Once you get that issue solved, you should see your changes in PM.

As for color labels, make sure that you're using the same colors and label names in both programs.  There is no one set of settings.  It's up to your preference.

As for IPTC/XMP settings when working with Adobe products, the attached image is what we recommend.

-Kirk

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AngusP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »
Thank you, Kirk, for your prompt reply.  I'll give it a go.

Best,

Angus

Offline AngusP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »
Can anyone help with the required settings in Lightroom 4.2 pls?

Regards,

Angus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:42:43 PM »
Angus,

Can anyone help with the required settings in Lightroom 4.2 pls?

I know of no settings that will automatically update the DNG previews and metadata when they change inside Lightroom.  But the procedure is simple enough:

1) In the Develop module, select a file or a group of files and make your adjustments to your DNG file(s).
2) From the Metadata menu choose Update DNG Preview & Metadata
3) Once Lightroom completes rendering and updating the DNG files (it shows a progress bar), switch back to Photo Mechanic.  The folder will be rescanned and the previews and thumbnails will be updated to reflect your changes.

See the attached image

HTH,

-Kirk

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AngusP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 06:43:33 AM »
Thank you, Kirk.  All works fine.  I'm very grateful for your help.

Best,

Angus