Author Topic: Locating other Mounted Drives for Ingesting  (Read 2568 times)

Offline mrfearless47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Locating other Mounted Drives for Ingesting
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »
I'm running PM5, Build 13444 on a Mac Pro, 6 core, 3.3.3 GHz, OS X 10.8.2.  I have 4 internal drives, one external drive, and two Drobo units hanging off this beast.

I'm trying to consolidate all my photos and ingest them into PM5, which is destined to become my initial file management tool.  I've used Aperture 3+ and Lightroom 4+ with referenced files, so the original files are distributed across dozens of folders and subfolders on a 3 TB drive.  These get backed up daily to one Drobo and the external 3 TB drive.

Here's my problem.  When I launch PM5 and select ingest, the dialog shows only a small number of the drives I have mounted.  Unfortunately, it does not show my primary image drive, which is an internal 3 TB drive.  I've tried rescanning and it never changes the number of drives it recognizes.  For this to be useful to me, I need for it to know where my images are located.  I do not want them on my boot drive for many reasons.  I've looked at all the preferences, studied all the various menus and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get PM5 to recognize that the drive I want it to ingest isn't in the options list.

Is there a workaround, something I'm missing, or am I plain out of luck?

Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Locating other Mounted Drives for Ingesting
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:49:04 PM »
Since the images are already on your drives you don't need to use Ingest at all.  Just browse the folders wherever they are.

Photo Mechanic always references files where they are and has no internal 'Library' system.

-Kirk

Offline mrfearless47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »
So it can browse through 20,000 images already stored on the drive in a single pass and create a reference catalog for them?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:20:40 PM »
So it can browse through 20,000 images already stored on the drive in a single pass and create a reference catalog for them?

No.  Photo Mechanic has no cataloging capability at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:21:15 PM »
PM currently has no database/catalog (this will change with PM's oncoming catalog module). You just access directories directly.

Does this answer your question?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline mrfearless47

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
Yes, this sort of answers my question.  I'm trying to make a more coherent structure from my existing mess.  It sounds like waiting for the cataloging module might be wise.