Author Topic: trash sound missing  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
trash sound missing
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:02:49 AM »
Hi I just upgraded to PM 5, when I delete an image I no longer hear the trash noise which is quite disconcerting. I've re-booted the app several times and it makes no difference, I also scanned thru the preferences and cant see anything to turn the sound on or off. Help please

S

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: trash sound missing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
Hi I just upgraded to PM 5, when I delete an image I no longer hear the trash noise which is quite disconcerting. I've re-booted the app several times and it makes no difference, I also scanned thru the preferences and cant see anything to turn the sound on or off. Help please

PM 5 no longer tells the Finder via Apple Events to move items to the Trash.  The Finder was playing the sound all along.  PM never made the "Trash" sound.

We would have to add in our own sound playback to mimic the Finder's behavior.

-Kirk

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:15:43 PM »
Not with you Kirk, are you saying you've done something to PM5 and now its not possible to get an audio confirmation that something has just been deleted? If so that's bad

S

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 07:56:07 AM »
Simon,

Not with you Kirk, are you saying you've done something to PM5 and now its not possible to get an audio confirmation that something has just been deleted? If so that's bad

The Finder has proven to be very slow and unreliable at responding to Apple Events in later OSes.  I have replaced the Move to Trash via Finder Apple Events implementation with a newer method that Apple now recommends.  It doesn't play sound when it moves items to the Trash.  Photo Mechanic would have to play its own sound in order to give you that feedback and it currently does not do this.

Windows users have never had this feature and have never complained.  Are you experiencing cases where when you do a Delete that the images don't actually disappear from the Contact Sheet and don't end up in the Trash?

Perhaps you're just used to hearing the "Trash" sound and it was reassuring?  Photo Mechanic does not usually provide sound cues for the operations it does.  The "Trash" sound was a side effect of PM instructing the Finder to select items and move them to the Trash.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »
Kirk,
That is exactly my case...I was used to hearing the "Trash" sound and it was reassuring.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 04:14:32 PM »
That is exactly my case...I was used to hearing the "Trash" sound and it was reassuring.

Sure.  But without the sound, do you doubt that the images are moved to the Trash when you get visual feedback (the images disappear from the Contact Sheet) ?

-Kirk

Offline Simon DTW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 06:48:02 PM »
Yeah, me too the Trash sound was reassuring that it had happened - in fact pretty essential as in my experience the operation was sometimes laggy. I always put that down to the system being overloaded or perhaps due to having a spinning hard drive. But now is sounds like as you say Kirk "The Finder has proven to be very slow and unreliable at responding to Apple Events in later OSes ' - and that caused the delay.

It was useful when this lag was there as I sometimes had the situation of hitting the two button combination to delete an image, nothing happening so I hit them again thinking perhaps the command had not got through and then 2 images would suddenly be deleted as the system caught up, - sometimes one of these I'd not intended to delete. So I learned not to enter a further delete command until I heard aural confirmation of the first delete, - of course I also used the visual cue of seeing the image disappear, but if the delay was significant my attention could drift away from the screen and I'd still get an aural confirmation of the delete which I found very useful.

If there is now no chance of lag or malfunction then I suppose it doesn't matter and the sound is no longer of use though I'm so used to hearing it that it just seems very odd without it and in a perfect world I'd like it back! I'm so brainwashed into hearing it that now my brain kind of plays the trash sound instead!
Simon

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »

Sure.  But without the sound, do you doubt that the images are moved to the Trash when you get visual feedback (the images disappear from the Contact Sheet) ?

-Kirk

Kirk,
Let's say I was used to the sound feedback...now I have to pay attention to the image disappearing from the contact sheet...you know...sometimes there are lots of very similar images in the same contact sheet, especially when you take action pictures or pictures of birds.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 04:50:23 PM »
Luiz,

Let's say I was used to the sound feedback...now I have to pay attention to the image disappearing from the contact sheet...you know...sometimes there are lots of very similar images in the same contact sheet, especially when you take action pictures or pictures of birds.

Absolutely, I understand.  Another user has requested that the Trash sound return.  I'll probably add it at some point (optionally as a preference) but not likely soon.  More important things to do right now.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »
Thanks for your quick reply.

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline wsuphotobob

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »
Just upgraded and found the sound missing as well.  Thank you for the explanation.  I want to add the votes of two photographers in my office that would love the audio confirmation of a deleted file at some point if you find time to do so.  Thank you!