Author Topic: .CR2 and .XMP unattached (similar)  (Read 11889 times)

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
.CR2 and .XMP unattached (similar)
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
Kirk,

I'm having a very similar problem. The only difference is that in my case, my .xmp sidecar files are no longer recognized by ACR when I change (or simply remove) the previously selected Color Class for a particular photo. For example, if a photo has a Yellow tag and then I process it in normally with ACR, the xmp file is no longer recognized if I change or remove the Color Class tag at a later time.

I'm using...

ACR 6.7
CS 5
PM 4.6.8

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: .CR2 and .XMP unattached (similar)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »
Tommy,

I'm having a very similar problem. The only difference is that in my case, my .xmp sidecar files are no longer recognized by ACR when I change (or simply remove) the previously selected Color Class for a particular photo. For example, if a photo has a Yellow tag and then I process it in normally with ACR, the xmp file is no longer recognized if I change or remove the Color Class tag at a later time.

I'm using...

ACR 6.7
CS 5
PM 4.6.8

Please make sure you're not embedding XMP metadata into your RAW files.  It trips up Adobe's software and causes them to not see data in XMP sidecar files.

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »
Hi there. I'm not sure I did the right thing because now when I ingest a CF card, .xmp side-car files are automatically added to every image file.  ???

See attached.

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
Hi there. I'm not sure I did the right thing because now when I ingest a CF card, .xmp side-car files are automatically added to every image file.  ???

See attached.

But you said earlier that you were using Adobe products.  You want XMP sidecar files to be created when you are working with Adobe products.

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »
Sorry, I was not clear. For some reason, as soon as I use PM to ingest my files from my CF card to my hard drive, an .xmp file is added to every file as well -- even if I never open those files in ACR (or any other Adobe product). This never happened before. I must have changed something in the preferences to cause this, but I have no idea what.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:27:27 AM »
Sorry, I was not clear. For some reason, as soon as I use PM to ingest my files from my CF card to my hard drive, an .xmp file is added to every file as well -- even if I never open those files in ACR (or any other Adobe product). This never happened before. I must have changed something in the preferences to cause this, but I have no idea what.

If you're applying any sort of metadata, including color labels, tags, or ratings during the Ingest then an XMP sidecar file will be created if you've told PM you want an XMP file to be created.  Since you're using Adobe products, this is a good thing to be happening.

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:45:56 AM »

If you're applying any sort of metadata, including color labels, tags, or ratings during the Ingest then an XMP sidecar file will be created if you've told PM you want an XMP file to be created.  Since you're using Adobe products, this is a good thing to be happening.

-Kirk

But I am not (as far as i know) adding any metadata during the ingest. So I don't get why the side-car files are suddenly being added. This had never happened before.

Also, I have a new problem. A folder that I tagged yesterday with two different color tags (among various photos) is not showing those tags anymore. That has never happened to me in the past ~10 years of using PM. Any ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:23:37 AM »

But I am not (as far as i know) adding any metadata during the ingest. So I don't get why the side-car files are suddenly being added. This had never happened before.

Please post a screen shot of your Ingest settings.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Quote from: tommyleo
Also, I have a new problem. A folder that I tagged yesterday with two different color tags (among various photos) is not showing those tags anymore. That has never happened to me in the past ~10 years of using PM. Any ideas?

Where did the folder of images reside?  On a hard drive, server, or camera card?

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »
Here is a screenshot of my Ingest window:

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
As for the folder with the missing color tags, that folder resides in an external HD.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 02:15:57 PM »
As for the folder with the missing color tags, that folder resides in an external HD.

Do you have a permissions issue with the folder on the external drive?

-Kirk

P.S. Can you please post one of your XMP sidecar files that is created during the Ingest?

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »
Here is one:

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
Did my last post help?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »
Did my last post help?

We're looking into why it would create what amounts to an empty file.

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 07:16:20 PM »
OK, thanks. I'm baffled.