Author Topic: consistent keyboard commands for windows  (Read 5053 times)

Offline jjlists123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
consistent keyboard commands for windows
« on: November 16, 2006, 12:13:01 AM »
I am demoing PM and still learning, but one thing that keeps throwing me off are the inconsistent keyboard commands in the windows version.
For example
   T - toggles the Tag, but not if more than one image is selected
   + - tags images, but not if more than one image is selected
   ctrl+ tags multiple selected images, but can't tag a single image
There might be others, but these are the one's I am struggling with tonight.

In other windows programs I use, the same keyboard command is used for both single and multiple objects.  If a single object is selected, the command is applied to that single object. If multiple objects are selected, the command affects all of the selected objects.
With PM, I am having to keep track of not only my images, but the number of those images that are selected.... and then try to remember which  keyboard command will work in the current situation.

Anyway, my suggestion is for the same command to work on single and multi-selected images, regardless of how many are selected.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: consistent keyboard commands for windows
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:33:56 AM »
I am demoing PM and still learning, but one thing that keeps throwing me off are the inconsistent keyboard commands in the windows version.
For example
   T - toggles the Tag, but not if more than one image is selected
   + - tags images, but not if more than one image is selected
   ctrl+ tags multiple selected images, but can't tag a single image
There might be others, but these are the one's I am struggling with tonight.

In other windows programs I use, the same keyboard command is used for both single and multiple objects.  If a single object is selected, the command is applied to that single object. If multiple objects are selected, the command affects all of the selected objects.
With PM, I am having to keep track of not only my images, but the number of those images that are selected.... and then try to remember which  keyboard command will work in the current situation.

Anyway, my suggestion is for the same command to work on single and multi-selected images, regardless of how many are selected.

There are two modes of operation: single selection mode, or multiple selection mode.  When in single selection mode (that is to say when there is only one photo selected out of many photos) then there are certain single key shortcuts that apply, like T and +/- for manipulating the tag of the single photo.  When there are multiple photos selected, the single key shortcuts do not apply, and you instead use the mnemonics like Ctrl+ and Ctrl- that are listed on the menus.

Single selection mode was requested by dozens of users who use laptop computers and for whatever reason only have one hand free (I have heard that some folks drive and use PM at the same time via a laptop sitting on the passenger seat.)

Yes it is inconsistent.  But this is what works for these folks and they wouldn't have it any other way.

Ctrl+ and Ctrl- do work with a single selected photo and with multiple selected photos.  The only missing shortcut is a toggle for multiple selected photos and that is mainly because Ctrl-T selects all Tagged photos.  I suppose we could add a separate Toggle Tag command and have it use Alt-T.

Thanks for your feedback,

-Kirk

Offline jjlists123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 08:20:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply Kirk.

I understand long term PM users have memorized the single/multiple interaction modes, but for new users like myself, it's at odds with how most Windows programs behave.

I  would like to request a keyboard shortcut editor (or a simple text file configuration) where we can assign our own keyboard shortcuts to the PM commands.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 11:01:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply Kirk.

I understand long term PM users have memorized the single/multiple interaction modes, but for new users like myself, it's at odds with how most Windows programs behave.

I  would like to request a keyboard shortcut editor (or a simple text file configuration) where we can assign our own keyboard shortcuts to the PM commands.

That would be useful.  The problem is that it isn't trivial to do or I would have added that capability a long time ago.  It is on my list of things to do.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk