Author Topic: Watermark size  (Read 5133 times)

Offline photoartist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Watermark size
« on: December 08, 2012, 07:12:54 PM »
I'm trying to imprint information on photos. I've found I can do that using the watermark feature.
I'm using variables as I want the Date and Caption on the photos.
What I cannot figure out is how to change the size of the font. I've tried adjusting the Height, Width, and even the font size (show font panel). Any help?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Watermark size
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 09:59:54 PM »
I'm trying to imprint information on photos. I've found I can do that using the watermark feature.
I'm using variables as I want the Date and Caption on the photos.
What I cannot figure out is how to change the size of the font. I've tried adjusting the Height, Width, and even the font size (show font panel). Any help?

The size of the text is calculated to fit the area you've chosen for the text to appear and scales with the size of the image.

-Kirk

Offline photoartist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »
Thanks....
What I'm trying to do is to print info:  Date and fairly short captions on the photo itself . I've scanned hundreds of my family's photos and want to move them into iMovie. I don't want to deal with rewriting captions on every single photo as I can do in iMovie. So, I'm trying to imprint the Date & Caption into the bottom of the photo. I can do that automatically with the "Taken {iptcdate} - {caption}" feature.
But if I can't control the size, do you know of any other program that will will allow me to do that?
Thanks.
PS  I'm running PM 4.6.9 and Mountain Lion 10.8.2
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:29:40 PM by photoartist »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »
Thanks....
What I'm trying to do is to print info:  Date and fairly short captions on the photo itself . I've scanned hundreds of my family's photos and want to move them into iMovie. I don't want to deal with rewriting captions on every single photo as I can do in iMovie. So, I'm trying to imprint the Date & Caption into the bottom of the photo. I can do that automatically with the "Taken {iptcdate} - {caption}" feature.
But if I can't control the size, do you know of any other program that will will allow me to do that?

You're outputting all of the images to the same size, correct?
I take it that the caption length varies between images?

I don't know of any other application that will allow you to mine data from the image and draw it on top of the image.

-Kirk

Offline photoartist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »
Yes, for the movie, all images with the same same size:  1080p "to fit box"
Captions are fairly short, but some will need to drop to another line. Is there anyway to divide a caption into two lines?
I agree, no other program that I know of will draw "Taken {iptcdate} - {caption}".

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »
Yes, for the movie, all images with the same same size:  1080p "to fit box"
Captions are fairly short, but some will need to drop to another line. Is there anyway to divide a caption into two lines?
I agree, no other program that I know of will draw "Taken {iptcdate} - {caption}".

No, but you could try:

"Taken {iptcdate}{nl}
{caption}"

And see if the results are better.

-Kirk

Offline photoartist

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »
Thank You !!  That NL helps a lot !  I think I've got a grip on how to do this. Really appreciate the help ! Merry Christmas

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 11:13:10 AM »

You're outputting all of the images to the same size, correct?
I take it that the caption length varies between images?

I don't know of any other application that will allow you to mine data from the image and draw it on top of the image.

-Kirk

I have come across this problem a few times, most recently with a series of fashion garment photographs (all identical in size). I needed to "watermark" the descriptive caption within a defined area (bottom right) on each image.

The caption is variable in length.

The result was crude looking in that the size of the font changed between images, according to the length of the  caption.

What I would like is for the user to be able to define an area (as now) and the text of constant font size wrapped within that area (box) as necessary.

As it stands I can't use the watermarking for final output as I would very much like to.

The watermarking function is very good, but it just needs this additional option.

Thanks

Peter
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:17:49 AM by pshrutpark »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »
Peter,

I have come across this problem a few times, most recently with a series of fashion garment photographs (all identical in size). I needed to "watermark" the descriptive caption within a defined area (bottom right) on each image.

The caption is variable in length.

The result was crude looking in that the size of the font changed between images, according to the length of the  caption.

What I would like is for the user to be able to define an area (as now) and the text of constant font size wrapped within that area (box) as necessary.

As it stands I can't use the watermarking for final output as I would very much like to.

The watermarking function is very good, but it just needs this additional option.

There is a problem with your suggestion: it won't always work.  First, it is hard for you to choose the proper font size without trial and error.  Second, there is no one font size that will work with all messages.  Even if the number of characters in the message don't vary, the characters will vary and each character has different widths, thus producing longer or shorter output.

So if we added what you suggest, are you prepared to have your messages unceremoniously cut off at the end if they don't fit?

-Kirk

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply Kirk.

What I envisage doing is taking the longest caption and, by trial and error, adjusting the box and font size to get the desired result (maybe with a little space to spare).

Then I would apply the "watermark" to all images.

I certainly would not mind, and actually expect, some initial manual setup.

Thanks

Peter

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 02:04:07 AM »
Limit the caption length to say 100 characters similar to this        {capt:100}....         followed by ........ to say that there is more to follow in the IPTC     

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
Limit the caption length to say 100 characters similar to this        {capt:100}....         followed by ........ to say that there is more to follow in the IPTC     

Thanks for the suggestion.

By using {capt:100} will the font size be always set as though the caption string is 100 characters?

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 12:46:35 AM »
Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion.

By using {capt:100} will the font size be always set as though the caption string is 100 characters?

It will be 100 characters long, but the width of each character can vary so it isn't perfect.

-Kirk

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
Peter,

It will be 100 characters long, but the width of each character can vary so it isn't perfect.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk.

I thought that may be the case.

Peter

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »
Unless all the characters used are m or w on average the length of the caption will always be similar. Try it and see what happens.