Author Topic: Renaming of MOV files on ingest: stopped working  (Read 6680 times)

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
Renaming of MOV files on ingest: stopped working
« on: November 10, 2012, 07:46:25 AM »
I have been using the following formula for some time for renaming files on ingest:

{datesort}_{frame4}_{timesort}

I have just moved across to a new machine, and exported / imported all my PM5 settings from the old machine, including the ingest presets.

Now when I use the above formula, it works for renaming NEFs on ingest, but it has left a MOV file with its original filename... I tried ingest the same folder twice and it was the same both times.  This didn't happen on my old machine... I just looked back at some at they are renamed correctly.

Any ideas?  These are D800 files, on a Win 8 machine.

I will forward my ingest .snap file by email...

Thanks,

Mike

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
Re: Renaming of MOV files on ingest: stopped working
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:23:46 PM »
Any ideas?  It happens with AVI files too.

To me it looks like a bug, because if I use the exact same variable string in the Image Info dialog, the string is populated correctly when viewing Info for these files.

Indeed if I use the same string in the Rename Photos dialog, the very same files are renamed perfectly... as they should have been during the ingest.

Mike

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »
Mike, are you sure those mov files were ingested and not present already? I use a similar renaming string and the couple (D4) mov files I had were renamed just fine…

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »
Hi Hayo

Yes these are definitely ingested. There is a mixture of images and video files on the card. The images are renamed fine during the ingest, but not the video files. But renaming the video files *after* ingest using the very same renaming string works fine.

Mike

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:37 PM »
Now this is interesting :D Is the behaviour reproducible and does it happen always?
Also, what version (build nr) are you using and is this on Mac or Windows?

Hopefully this will give Kirk some clues as to what is causing this.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »
Very reproducible... happens every time I ingest any video files. 

PM 5.0, build 13444 (c5a5ad3), running on Windows 8 (64-bit).

Everything else apart from this issue is running fine with this setup.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
Mike,

You need to install QuickTime I'm afraid.  We still rely upon QT for handling movie files.  Apple has QT 7.7.3 I think which isn't officially blessed for Windows 8, but it seems to work on the Windows 8 machine we were testing with (that also exhibited the same problems you describe until QT was installed).

HTH!

--dennis

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 10:41:10 PM »
You need to install QuickTime I'm afraid.  We still rely upon QT for handling movie files.  Apple has QT 7.7.3 I think which isn't officially blessed for Windows 8, but it seems to work on the Windows 8 machine we were testing with (that also exhibited the same problems you describe until QT was installed).

Ah, I guess you guys rely on QT for retrieval of metadata from the movie clips too then? This would explain why the metadata from movie files is missing lots of information… (I meant to post a request for adding the missing fields someday but haven't yet done so)
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »

Ah, I guess you guys rely on QT for retrieval of metadata from the movie clips too then? This would explain why the metadata from movie files is missing lots of information… (I meant to post a request for adding the missing fields someday but haven't yet done so)

Hayo,

Yeah we use QT for getting metadata.  This will likely change soon so we can get more metadata.  But to eliminate QT completely we have to substitute video playback (and keyframe) with a different (cross-platform) implementation.  Its on our list...

--dennis

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »
Yeah we use QT for getting metadata.  This will likely change soon so we can get more metadata.  But to eliminate QT completely we have to substitute video playback (and keyframe) with a different (cross-platform) implementation.  Its on our list...

How soon?  Trying to assess whether I can hold out and avoid installing quirktime because it's not like I need it for anything else.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 01:14:58 PM »

Excellent on both (I guess the first is easier to implement than the second and I think is the most important; many of us would be happy for more complete metadata)

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography