Author Topic: Extra text lines in Contact View  (Read 21637 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Extra text lines in Contact View
« on: December 11, 2012, 03:16:57 PM »
Is it possible that extra text lines can be incorporated under the contact sheet thumbnails?  I have just tried it on Xnview, the free contact and image viewing program and it is really useful. Even just an extra couple of personalised lines would be helpful to save constantly looking at the IPTC view. Another good feature would be just to see the IPTC from each image across the page with a very small thumbnail on the left similar to Media Pro.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Extra text lines in Contact View
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »
Is it possible that extra text lines can be incorporated under the contact sheet thumbnails?  I have just tried it on Xnview, the free contact and image viewing program and it is really useful. Even just an extra couple of personalised lines would be helpful to save constantly looking at the IPTC view. Another good feature would be just to see the IPTC from each image across the page with a very small thumbnail on the left similar to Media Pro.

Photo Mechanic already supports three lines.  How many do you need?

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

Five or six would help. For cataloguing I use Media Pro and that gives me up to ten.

David

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:59:07 PM »

As to your second suggestion, you could include some IPTC info in the Info Text and set PM to Show Info Tooltips.
HTH,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:17:29 AM »
Thanks Luiz.

I have used info tool tips in the past. I have just tried it again on v5 and I get the message: "Encountered an improper argument" box which won't go away so have to kill the program.

Hopefully Kirk can help with this?

I still think more lines of info would be worthwhile though.
David

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:38:46 AM »
From another point of view, if you have a very small thumbnail on the left of the screen, similar to Media Pro, with the file name next and then whatever info is necessary it will be very easy to scroll to a certain image file name you need without constantly loading thumbnail images as you scroll down.

I am just in the process of doing this on a recent shoot before it is catalogued and it is painfully slow when you are in a hurry to go through a days 2000 images.

David

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:49:28 AM »
From another point of view, if you have a very small thumbnail on the left of the screen, similar to Media Pro, with the file name next and then whatever info is necessary it will be very easy to scroll to a certain image file name you need without constantly loading thumbnail images as you scroll down.

I am just in the process of doing this on a recent shoot before it is catalogued and it is painfully slow when you are in a hurry to go through a days 2000 images.

Doesn't the preview screen fulfil this need? With the info text on the right you can quickly go through all your images and see all relevant info at the same time. The filmstrip on the left (or bottom) helps you navigate.

What I frequently do too in combination is sort the images on e.g. Caption or Keywords so similar images are grouped together. Would this help you too?

I have used info tool tips in the past. I have just tried it again on v5 and I get the message: "Encountered an improper argument" box which won't go away so have to kill the program.

The info text should just work, so my guess is you have a problem on your system. Have you already tried reinstalling the application? What OS and version are you using?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 04:32:56 AM »
I do have the info text, quite a lot, on the right of the preview screen and it is ideal and it is fast to run through individual previews.

However, when I'm running through the contacts the option of more info underneath the thumbnails would be helpful.  What prompted me to ask for that is xnview at http://www.xnview.com/  which is very easy to configure IPTC and other stuff under the thumbnail. Obviously if you are using small PM thumbs you won't see a lot but with the bigger thumbnails it would be really helpful.

One of the problems with the cataloguing program, Media Pro, is that the info under the thumbnail sometimes is not actually embedded in the image file. Which is the reason why I will sometimes use PM to run through the catalogued images.

I'm running V5 13444

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 06:49:21 AM »
David,

It is unlikely that we'll ever add 10 lines of text under the thumbnails.  Perhaps adding a list-view mode where there would be one thumbnail per line, but a lot of room on the right side for a large amount of custom text.

I would like to know how to reproduce the "Encountered an improper argument" error you described.  Please tell me how to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 06:57:40 AM »
Kirk,

Perhaps adding a list-view mode where there would be one thumbnail per line, but a lot of room on the right side for a large amount of custom text.

that would be an awesome feature to easily find images with missing data / keywords...

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »
Kirk,

That sounds quite good. A small or smaller thumbnail on the left and selected IPTC, keywords on the right. Great! I look forward to it.

I have retried enabling the info text and have the same problem as attached snap. However, the images were on a NAS. I then tried it on my Drobo and the same problem. Logically I tried it again on the PC main drive and for a few seconds the Info was shown but then disappeared and the fault repeated as before. This time if I clicked on the fault it briefly went away and the info appeared before again disappearing and having to close the program with the task manager.

I'm on Win 7 Pro ver 5 13444. I hope this helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »
Kirk,

Perhaps adding a list-view mode where there would be one thumbnail per line, but a lot of room on the right side for a large amount of custom text.

that would be an awesome feature to easily find images with missing data / keywords...

Sven

Kirk,
I also think that would be a nice alternative to the traditional contact sheet view.
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
Kirk,

Just to clarify. If I right click the image and go to the top of the box to the info text, that shows okay. The problem happens when I enable 'Info Tips' all the time.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 04:55:03 PM »
David,

Just to clarify. If I right click the image and go to the top of the box to the info text, that shows okay. The problem happens when I enable 'Info Tips' all the time.

Can you post your Info Text settings?  Can you also post a picture of the Info Text in your Preview window?

We're unable to reproduce the problem so far.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 01:54:56 AM »
Kirk,

Now attached:

[attachment deleted by admin]