Author Topic: How to change Default Web Browser  (Read 1582 times)

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
How to change Default Web Browser
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:35:42 AM »
On my Mac (10.8.2) the default web browser is Google Chrome.    In any other appliction, clicking on a web link opens up Chrome.

However, when I open the help in PM, or use the Exporter, PM opens Firefox instead.

So how can I change PM so that it uses Chrome instead of Firefox?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to change Default Web Browser
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »
I don't exactly know, but I can tell you that PM doesn't specifically use any particular browser.  There is likely some system preference that controls this.  PM just asks the OS to open the HTML files, not any specific application.

-Kirk

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
Re: How to change Default Web Browser
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »
Well, if I understand this correctly, OS X allows app associations for individual files -- as opposed to app associations for, say, all files with .html extension.   see: http://osxdaily.com/2009/10/25/change-file-associations-in-mac-os-x/

The dialog allows you to change the app association for a particular file, but it also has a "change all" - which allows you to change the assotiation for all "documents like this one."

So, I picked a random .html file on my machine, and changed the default app to Safari, then did the change all thing too.  Suddenly, my PM help opened in Safari instead of firefox.  Then I change the assocation to Chrome, and voila!  PM help now opens in Chrome!  Yay!

However.. new problemo here.   PM5 Simpleviewer exports don't work in Chrome.  UGH!  (simpleviewer explains why on their web site, it has nothing to do with PM). 

So, I think I need to know where the default index.html  file is coming from - so i can set the association for that specific file back to either Firefox or Safari to get around the Simpleviewer/Chrome problem