Author Topic: PM keeps asking me to register.  (Read 5700 times)

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM keeps asking me to register.
« on: December 15, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »
I am running Photo Mechanic 5.0 on Mac OS 10.7.5.  I have purchased a license and registered, but every time that I launch the program, I am asked to register again.  I have written to Camera Bits about this matter but have not received a reply.

Any suggestions?

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM keeps asking me to register.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »
Rob,

I am running Photo Mechanic 5.0 on Mac OS 10.7.5.  I have purchased a license and registered, but every time that I launch the program, I am asked to register again.  I have written to Camera Bits about this matter but have not received a reply.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like a permissions problem.  Are you running under an Admin account?

Photo Mechanic stores its registration file in one of two places:

/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.registration
or
/Users/<your user name>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.registration

If Photo Mechanic cannot create a file in one of those two places then it will request to be registered each time it launches.

-Kirk

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »
Rob,

Any suggestions?

or
/Users/<your user name>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.registration

If Photo Mechanic cannot create a file in one of those two places then it will request to be registered each time it launches.

-Kirk

Kirk,

There is no such file in the first location.  I cannot even find a Library folder under Users/my name.

I am the administrator for this computer.

What do you recommend?

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »
Rob,

Any suggestions?

or

There is no such file in the first location.  I cannot even find a Library folder under Users/my name.

That's because Mac OS X 10.7.x and higher OS versions hide the local Library folder.  You can go to that folder by choosing "Go to Folder..." from the "Go" menu in the Finder.  Enter:

~/Library/Preferences

...in the dialog and you'll get to your local Library/Preferences folder.

Check the permissions (Get Info) on each of the two locations I listed earlier and make sure that you're able to write in each of those locations.

Then register again.

-Kirk

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »
Kirk,

I found the Library Preferences, but they contain a folder: com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.demo_registration.  Is this only for the Demo version, and could it be why I am unable to register the post-demo program?

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 05:04:24 PM »
Rob,

I found the Library Preferences, but they contain a folder: com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.demo_registration.  Is this only for the Demo version, and could it be why I am unable to register the post-demo program?

It shouldn't interfere.  But it shouldn't be a folder, it is a file.

I was wrong about the path earlier.  It should be:

/Users/<your user name>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.registration

So the demo you found would have been this:

/Users/<your user name>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.demo_registration

Did you check your permissions on /Library/Preferences ?  That is the preferred location.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:46:09 PM »
Rob,

The other path would be (from your screenshot) Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/

Check the permissions there.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »
Rob,

There is no com.camerabits in that Preference folder.

Exactly.  I want you to make sure that you're capable of creating files in the path shown in your most recent screenshot.  Check the permissions (Get Info from the Finder) and make sure you can write there.

If you can write there then PM should be able to create its registration file there.

-Kirk

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
I checked and discovered that I had only read permission.  I changed it so that I now have read and write permission both for the Library and Preference folders.  However, Photo Mechanic still asks me to register each time that I launch the program.

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »
Rob,

I checked and discovered that I had only read permission.  I changed it so that I now have read and write permission both for the Library and Preference folders.  However, Photo Mechanic still asks me to register each time that I launch the program.

Is there something special about how you log into your computer?

-Kirk

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »
Nothing special that I know of.  I do have a password.

Rob

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem solved
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
Somehow, the license that I was entering was not the correct one.  Possibly it was from the trial version.  When I entered the purchased license upon launching, it stuck, and I am no longer asked to register each time.

Rob