Author Topic: Latest 5 won't launch  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Froschphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Latest 5 won't launch
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
I'm using an MBP with 10.6.8 and Photo Mechanic 5. Downloaded newest version via being notified when opening PM 5.

Downloaded and copied to folder in Applications and attempted to launch. Presented with a message after spinning beachball that said something along the lines of script timed out, reinstall and try again. I did from that with the same message. Downloading again and reinstalled -- same message. Went back to previous version and all is well except I have the new version message not when I launch that.

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Latest 5 won't launch
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:37:23 PM »
John,

I'm using an MBP with 10.6.8 and Photo Mechanic 5. Downloaded newest version via being notified when opening PM 5.

Downloaded and copied to folder in Applications and attempted to launch. Presented with a message after spinning beachball that said something along the lines of script timed out, reinstall and try again. I did from that with the same message. Downloading again and reinstalled -- same message. Went back to previous version and all is well except I have the new version message not when I launch that.

I would suggest downloading and copying the Photo Mechanic application to your Applications folder again.

-Kirk

Offline MitchWojnarowicz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 04:33:40 PM »
I'm having a similar issue.

I just did a clean install of Mac 10.8, completely wiping my boot + apps drive.

I downloaded PM v5 and attempting to launch it yields a bouncing icon in the dock, then after awhile, force quit gives me the "not responding" message.

I've deleted it, re downloaded and re tried a few times.  No luck.  PM won't launch.

Part of the reason I went to 10.8 was after updating from 10.7.X to 10.7.5, I suddenly had a number of apps which were completely dead after the update. Nothing would allow them to launch (option-click-"open").

Now, the clean install and re building of my entire system has killed PM on me ...

Thoughts?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
Mitch,

I'm having a similar issue.

I just did a clean install of Mac 10.8, completely wiping my boot + apps drive.

I downloaded PM v5 and attempting to launch it yields a bouncing icon in the dock, then after awhile, force quit gives me the "not responding" message.

I've deleted it, re downloaded and re tried a few times.  No luck.  PM won't launch.

Part of the reason I went to 10.8 was after updating from 10.7.X to 10.7.5, I suddenly had a number of apps which were completely dead after the update. Nothing would allow them to launch (option-click-"open").

Now, the clean install and re building of my entire system has killed PM on me ...

Are there any messages in your system.log or console.log when you attempt to launch PM 5?  Use the Console application to view your logs.  The Console application is in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder.

Post any relevant messages here.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline MitchWojnarowicz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:55 PM »
Drive Genius showed me a bunch of corrupt prefs.  Deleted them, re-downloaded, rebooted, repaired permissions, rebooted and I now have a registration screen.  So, all seems good.

Odd since the system is brand new. Though I did hit a snag where installation of the OS failed. Took several failed tries to run the installer before I found a suggestion to zap the P-ram, which finally allowed the installer to run again, cleanly. Maybe something system-wise was damaged by those failed instal attempts.