Author Topic: Color Labels...  (Read 2238 times)

Offline delvoye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Color Labels...
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:16:16 PM »
I work with Aperture 3.4.3, PhotoShop CS6, Photo Mechanic 5 on OSX 10.8.2 with NEF images from a Nikon D4.

My workflow is based on image rating and color labels, Aperture is used for cropping and other photo tasks. If I only want to sharpen I choose rating 3 stars and start my applescript. The script marks the 3 star images with a red label and export them to photoshop via a droplet. The final result is shown in Photo Mechanic. So far so good, but PM5 shows the chosen rating, but don't show the chosen color labels. The red label is called Sharpen inside PM5, Aperture en OSX and I also has the Synchronize Color Class with marked.

If I only mark a few images, with PM5, with the red color label they don't have this color label when I open the folder with finder.

Is there a setting for this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Color Labels...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »
I work with Aperture 3.4.3, PhotoShop CS6, Photo Mechanic 5 on OSX 10.8.2 with NEF images from a Nikon D4.

My workflow is based on image rating and color labels, Aperture is used for cropping and other photo tasks. If I only want to sharpen I choose rating 3 stars and start my applescript. The script marks the 3 star images with a red label and export them to photoshop via a droplet. The final result is shown in Photo Mechanic. So far so good, but PM5 shows the chosen rating, but don't show the chosen color labels. The red label is called Sharpen inside PM5, Aperture en OSX and I also has the Synchronize Color Class with marked.

If I only mark a few images, with PM5, with the red color label they don't have this color label when I open the folder with finder.

Is there a setting for this?

Are you talking about the color labels that the Finder allows you to assign from the Get Info panel?  (Also from the Finder's contextual menu.)

PM doesn't set the Finder color labels on photos when you set the color class.  They're not really capable of being compatible since one cannot customize the colors in the Finder and all the other apps like PM, Lightroom, etc. can change both the colors and the label names.

Unless you have a real need to keep your IPTC Urgency value in sync with the color label index, I don't suggest turning that feature on.

-Kirk

Offline delvoye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:54:44 PM »
Aperture puts the color label on, I have several scripts (work with Guy Gowan's action scripts). If a pictures needs to pre-processed like 1.5ev its gets a 5 star rating and the color blue. After photoshop finished the process, it saves a copy of the original PSD in the processed folder en an jpg version in the send folder.

If I want to re-process the image, I can send the copy to photoshop (by pressing E) or direct to another droplet. But the color tells me what droplet I did used before...

Is not really a hard issue, but it worked in the previous version of PM...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »
Aperture puts the color label on, I have several scripts (work with Guy Gowan's action scripts). If a pictures needs to pre-processed like 1.5ev its gets a 5 star rating and the color blue. After photoshop finished the process, it saves a copy of the original PSD in the processed folder en an jpg version in the send folder.

If I want to re-process the image, I can send the copy to photoshop (by pressing E) or direct to another droplet. But the color tells me what droplet I did used before...

Is not really a hard issue, but it worked in the previous version of PM...

Try turning off the Color Class/IPTC Urgency synchronization feature.

-Kirk