Author Topic: Ingest and naming photos.  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Carl Ray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest and naming photos.
« on: November 26, 2006, 04:58:34 PM »
I would like to use the variable "actuations"  with the date to name my pictures. When I use it I get the message that all my files will be named with the same name and it won't let me proceed? Since each picture should have a different accuation I don't see why it can't be used. I could use it with a _{sequence} and then use a renameing program to remove the unwanted part. Is there any way to get it to use the naming without the error message?

{year2}{month0}{dayo}_cjr{actuations}

My reasoning is that I have a 6 digit number that way and it won't repeat often enough to cause me any problems. I now use the {filename} variable but it does repeat before a year is up. It uses four digits.

The other item is when I use the {filename} variable I would like my initials to be in small letters instead of capitals.

Thanks and I really like your program and glad I purchased it........Carl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest and naming photos.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 06:45:42 PM »
Carl,

I would like to use the variable "actuations"  with the date to name my pictures. When I use it I get the message that all my files will be named with the same name and it won't let me proceed? Since each picture should have a different accuation I don't see why it can't be used. I could use it with a _{sequence} and then use a renameing program to remove the unwanted part. Is there any way to get it to use the naming without the error message?

{year2}{month0}{dayo}_cjr{actuations}

My reasoning is that I have a 6 digit number that way and it won't repeat often enough to cause me any problems. I now use the {filename} variable but it does repeat before a year is up. It uses four digits.

The other item is when I use the {filename} variable I would like my initials to be in small letters instead of capitals.

Thanks and I really like your program and glad I purchased it........Carl

Unfortunately the actuation count is often unavailable or are unreliable.  How about using the {frame} number instead?

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Carl Ray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 12:30:35 PM »
Unfortunately the actuation count is often unavailable or are unreliable.  How about using the {frame} number instead?

Thanks Kirk. I have been using the filename which is the same as the frame number. Guess if it works I won't change it. With the date and filename I don't think I would get any simililar numbers anyway.

Just wanted to have more numbers available than the 9999 of the frames before repeating. I can use actuations in the information window and it works fine. I doubt that a mark 11n would miss any actuations count and it would go up to 999,999 count.

Thanks for replying.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 12:32:21 PM »
Carl,

Thanks Kirk. I have been using the filename which is the same as the frame number. Guess if it works I won't change it. With the date and filename I don't think I would get any simililar numbers anyway.

Just wanted to have more numbers available than the 9999 of the frames before repeating. I can use actuations in the information window and it works fine. I doubt that a mark 11n would miss any actuations count and it would go up to 999,999 count.

Thanks for replying.

You do have one of the several models of DSLRs that the actuation count is very reliable.  I'll look into a solution.

-Kirk

Offline Carl Ray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 11:53:15 AM »
Thanks Kirk. Don't spend too much valuable time on it. I can live without using the actuations if it causes a lot of trouble.

It would be nice if we could over ride the popup warning at our own risk. I can understand why it is there and would be more upsetting if someone used it and had dup names, overwriting some of their files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 02:17:22 PM »
Thanks Kirk. Don't spend too much valuable time on it. I can live without using the actuations if it causes a lot of trouble.

It would be nice if we could over ride the popup warning at our own risk. I can understand why it is there and would be more upsetting if someone used it and had dup names, overwriting some of their files.

Photo Mechanic does not allow the renaming of a file to cause the loss of another file.  The naming of the file that collides with an existing file will be resolved to a new unique name according to your preferences for naming collision resolution.

-Kirk