Author Topic: Problems with Disc Burning  (Read 14388 times)

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
Problems with Disc Burning
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:21:47 AM »
Hello,
When I try to burn a folder of images to disc and automatically have Photo Mechanic separate them onto several discs, the program will hang up after ejecting the first disc and just freeze. This has happened several times with several different brands of discs. Any help or information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm curious as to when 4.5 will be coming out, as my understanding is that in 4.5 I will be able to read the star ratings that I have assigned previously through Bridge. Thanks for your help with this.

Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problems with Disc Burning
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 09:37:38 AM »
Andy,

When I try to burn a folder of images to disc and automatically have Photo Mechanic separate them onto several discs, the program will hang up after ejecting the first disc and just freeze. This has happened several times with several different brands of discs. Any help or information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm curious as to when 4.5 will be coming out, as my understanding is that in 4.5 I will be able to read the star ratings that I have assigned previously through Bridge. Thanks for your help with this.

What OS are you running on?

I don't have an exact date on when 4.5 is coming out.

-Kirk

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 05:24:57 PM »
Hello,
I am running a Mac, G5 Dual 2.0 GHZ, OS 10.4.8 w/ 4.5 GB RAM, the disc burner is a: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-117D / Firmware Revision: B705. Please let me know if there is any other information that I can provide to help diagnose the problem.
Thanks,
Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 05:28:42 PM »
Andy,

I am running a Mac, G5 Dual 2.0 GHZ, OS 10.4.8 w/ 4.5 GB RAM, the disc burner is a: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-117D / Firmware Revision: B705. Please let me know if there is any other information that I can provide to help diagnose the problem.

If you burn a disc with the Finder, do you have the same problem?

-Kirk

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 11:38:42 AM »
i generally use toast titanium to burn my discs from other applications. when burning something through iTunes, which uses the finder or Mac OS software to burn as opposed to Toast, I don't have any problems. I have tried to burn several jobs onto disc from Photo Mechanic, all were approximately 8 to 11 gigabytes in size. It happend each time I tried. The first disc would complete (i don't remember if the first disc was readable), I would put in a second disc, and the program would just hang there forever... must have lost about 5 or six discs trying this. any ideas??? would love to be able to use this feature, as it is a royal pain for me to have to manually select the images and size them to fit on individual DVDs... any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
andy

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »
Hi Kirk,
Do you have any ideas on this? Would you like me to give it another try and report in greater detail exactly what is happening and whether or not the first disc of the series is readable? Thanks so much for your help with my questions.

Thanks,
Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 11:32:31 AM »
Andy,

Do you have any ideas on this? Would you like me to give it another try and report in greater detail exactly what is happening and whether or not the first disc of the series is readable? Thanks so much for your help with my questions.

We did a test on a PowerMac G5 running 10.3.5 and had no issues.  Another test with a 10.4.8 machine will be run today.  We're trying to reproduce the problem.  I'll let you know what we find.

-Kirk

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 01:05:41 PM »
Thanks Kirk!
I'm pretty swamped with work and deadlines, but if I can, I will try to give it another shot today and provide you with some more information which may help you to diagnose it.

Thank you very much,
Andy

Offline blankfortj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 06:17:16 AM »
Hi,

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a similar problem.

While attempting to burn 12GB worth of raw riles to DVD’s I get this error message.
---------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!

Program: ...gram Files\Camera Bits\Photo Mechanic\Photo Mechanic.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
OK   

Happens when it asks for the 2nd DVD. I restarted the computer and tried it again.  Got the same thing. 

PM 4.4.3.3 running XP Pro on a 3G P4.  I’m using a Sony DVD RW DW-22A.

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 06:45:57 AM »
Hi,

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a similar problem.

While attempting to burn 12GB worth of raw riles to DVD’s I get this error message.
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!

Program: ...gram Files\Camera Bits\Photo Mechanic\Photo Mechanic.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
OK   

Happens when it asks for the 2nd DVD. I restarted the computer and tried it again.  Got the same thing. 

PM 4.4.3.3 running XP Pro on a 3G P4.  I’m using a Sony DVD RW DW-22A.

When you put the second disc in, are you pressing the 'Rescan' button?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline blankfortj

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 06:12:26 PM »
What works is waiting for Windows to recognize that a blank DVD is in the drive.  Then I pressed burn and all is well.

Thanks for the speedy response.  Your support rocks!!!

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
Re: Problems with Disc Burning / File Corruption-Bridge-Raws and Jpegs
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 11:37:48 AM »
Hi Kirk,
Just wanted to follow up with your regarding this thread... I've implemented the changes your recommended regarding maximizing compatibility between Photo Mechanic and Bridge... I've made those changes, and today for the first time I was able to burn a project onto several discs without any problems or issues... previously before making the changes you suggested, I was having issues with files becoming corrupted when switching back and between Photo Mechanic and Bridge, which may have been the culprit with regards to the disc burning issues (I would have to replace the files from one of the other back up drives in order to get them to work, open, or burn). Anyway, wanted to draw your attention to that, and also ask a related question perhaps without beginning an entirely different thread: Is there any drawback to creating a jpeg afterwards in Photoshop rather than shooting one with the RAW File? I shoot people and am using a Canon 1Ds. sometimes I run up against the buffer and previously had only been shooting RAW files without the jpeg. Previously when switching back and forth between Photo Mechanic and Bridge I've had issues where Bridge would seem to confuse the embedded tiny jpeg preview with the actual RAW files... I've had this happen numerous times... I began to shoot jpegs again partially for the ease of use with editing in Photo Mechanic. Are there any drawbacks for those times when I need the camera speed to just shoot RAW files and create a jpeg for editing purposes later through Photoshop? Any settings or changes that I would need to be aware of or any drawbacks to this workflow? Any advice, info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your attention to my previous tech problems and issues!!

Thanks,
Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problems with Disc Burning / File Corruption-Bridge-Raws and Jpegs
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 12:40:00 PM »
Andy,

Just wanted to follow up with your regarding this thread... I've implemented the changes your recommended regarding maximizing compatibility between Photo Mechanic and Bridge... I've made those changes, and today for the first time I was able to burn a project onto several discs without any problems or issues... previously before making the changes you suggested, I was having issues with files becoming corrupted when switching back and between Photo Mechanic and Bridge, which may have been the culprit with regards to the disc burning issues (I would have to replace the files from one of the other back up drives in order to get them to work, open, or burn). Anyway, wanted to draw your attention to that, and also ask a related question perhaps without beginning an entirely different thread: Is there any drawback to creating a jpeg afterwards in Photoshop rather than shooting one with the RAW File? I shoot people and am using a Canon 1Ds. sometimes I run up against the buffer and previously had only been shooting RAW files without the jpeg. Previously when switching back and forth between Photo Mechanic and Bridge I've had issues where Bridge would seem to confuse the embedded tiny jpeg preview with the actual RAW files... I've had this happen numerous times... I began to shoot jpegs again partially for the ease of use with editing in Photo Mechanic. Are there any drawbacks for those times when I need the camera speed to just shoot RAW files and create a jpeg for editing purposes later through Photoshop?

As long as you have the time to create JPEGs from your RAW files and you like the results you can get from your RAW converter, then there really are no drawbacks.

Quote from: amdaddio
Any settings or changes that I would need to be aware of or any drawbacks to this workflow? Any advice, info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your attention to my previous tech problems and issues!!

Just keep the IPTC/XMP settings the way you have them and you should do fine.

-Kirk