Author Topic: Thumbnail images prior to ingestion???  (Read 2696 times)

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thumbnail images prior to ingestion???
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
I am relatively new to Photo Mechanic, having previously used Media Pro to manage my image files.  One feature that I liked in MP is that it would rapidly generate thumbnails of images on a card prior to actual ingestion.  That would allow me to pre-select which images to import and which to exclude.  It does not appear that Photo Mechanic does that.  You have to ingest whole folders or cards without being able to preview the images beforehand.  Is that correct?

Thanks,
Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Thumbnail images prior to ingestion???
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »
Rob,

I am relatively new to Photo Mechanic, having previously used Media Pro to manage my image files.  One feature that I liked in MP is that it would rapidly generate thumbnails of images on a card prior to actual ingestion.  That would allow me to pre-select which images to import and which to exclude.  It does not appear that Photo Mechanic does that.  You have to ingest whole folders or cards without being able to preview the images beforehand.  Is that correct?

No, not quite.  You can browse the card directly just like you would browse any folder(s).  You can select images and then use the Copy command.  There is no Ingest from selection however.  The Copy command does most of what the Ingest command does with entire cards or folders, but it works on a selection of files.

-Kirk

Offline robgo2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 03:06:01 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks.  I will give this a try.

Rob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »
Rob,

This video, by Dan Carr, gives you some tips on doing what amounts to an Ingest from Selection:

http://youtu.be/4hEuIUN35mE

HTH,

-Kirk