Author Topic: PM5 locking when ingest is selected...  (Read 2699 times)

Offline avanbeek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 locking when ingest is selected...
« on: January 01, 2013, 05:39:03 AM »
PM5 latest build (13505)
MacBookPro Retina 15"
Mountain Lion

I have been using PM for years to ingest and rename my RAW files and this just started happening out of the blue.

As soon as I select ingest from the file menu, PM becomes unresponsive and cannot be shut down without a forced quit. The ingest dialog will not display.
This problem happens no matter what I have connected to the computer, it still happens when I revert back to an older version of PM, it started for no apparent reason since nothing had been changed on the computer within weeks of the problem starting. It still happens after PM is deleted and an older version is installed, and the laptop is rebooted.

Suggestions anyone?

Many thanks...
AVB

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 locking when ingest is selected...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »
PM5 latest build (13505)
MacBookPro Retina 15"
Mountain Lion

I have been using PM for years to ingest and rename my RAW files and this just started happening out of the blue.

As soon as I select ingest from the file menu, PM becomes unresponsive and cannot be shut down without a forced quit. The ingest dialog will not display.
This problem happens no matter what I have connected to the computer, it still happens when I revert back to an older version of PM, it started for no apparent reason since nothing had been changed on the computer within weeks of the problem starting. It still happens after PM is deleted and an older version is installed, and the laptop is rebooted.

Build 13507 is the latest build.  Are you sure you have a 13505 build?  It was never released.

Each time Ingest is brought up with the Ingest Disks option set, it scans the root folder of all mounted disks to determine if they're suitable for Ingesting.  This process can take some time to complete, especially if the root folder of your disks have thousands of files and folders on them.  PM will ignore a disk if it has a "PMIngestIgnore" folder on it, which you can create with the Finder on any disks you know you never want to Ingest from.  This will speed up the process if you have several disks always mounted that you never want to Ingest.  Simply use the Finder to browse each disk and create a new Folder with the name PMIngestIngore and that will keep Ingest from spending much time scanning that disk.

If after doing the above with your unwanted disks, the problem still occurs, then I suggest running Apple's Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) and check all mounted disks for errors.  You may have a damaged directory that cannot be scanned to completion which may be causing Ingest to hang.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline avanbeek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM5 locking when ingest is selected...
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »
Sorry about that, the build number was a typo on my part.

So after having the problem for a day and a half, I ingested the files I had been trying to ingest with Adobe Bridge to see if it had any issues. It worked and simultaneously, PM5 started working again. It works perfectly fine now even though I hadn't changed anything else.  Perhaps it was worried about being replaced and decided to smarten up?  :-)

Thanks for your response!