Author Topic: Photomechanic "Not Responding" when opening folder of images  (Read 3697 times)

Offline dmolo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photomechanic "Not Responding" when opening folder of images
« on: January 05, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
Hello,

I have had this issue for some time, but just let it be, but perhaps it could be looked into for the future. On Windows 7 Photomechanic 4.6.8 and Version 5, often when I open a folder of images the photomechanic screen goes grey and then I get a "(Not responding)" in the top of the program as if the program crashed. If I ignore it and just wait, the folder finally loads. The progress bar at the bottom moves along while it processes to open the folder, and then at about 25% the progrees bar stops and the program seems to not be doing anything. If I click my mouse on the program somewhere I get the "(Not Responding)" and frozen program situation. But it's so odd that it'll do this, but eventually the folder pops up with all the thumbnails.

This happens with folders of perhaps 2000 images. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 with an intel i7-2620M CPU @ 2.7Ghz with 8gb of RAM.

Has anyone else experneinced this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photomechanic "Not Responding" when opening folder of images
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:04:06 PM »
Hello,

I have had this issue for some time, but just let it be, but perhaps it could be looked into for the future. On Windows 7 Photomechanic 4.6.8 and Version 5, often when I open a folder of images the photomechanic screen goes grey and then I get a "(Not responding)" in the top of the program as if the program crashed. If I ignore it and just wait, the folder finally loads. The progress bar at the bottom moves along while it processes to open the folder, and then at about 25% the progrees bar stops and the program seems to not be doing anything. If I click my mouse on the program somewhere I get the "(Not Responding)" and frozen program situation. But it's so odd that it'll do this, but eventually the folder pops up with all the thumbnails.

This happens with folders of perhaps 2000 images. I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 with an intel i7-2620M CPU @ 2.7Ghz with 8gb of RAM.

Has anyone else experneinced this?

What sort method are you using?  Anything other than "Filename" or "Modification Date" are going to be fairly slow on all versions of Photo Mechanic.  If PM 5 has seen the majority of the photos before and has cached the sorting metadata for the photos then sorting will progress fairly rapidly.

-Kirk