Author Topic: color class irregularities  (Read 4419 times)

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
color class irregularities
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:27:02 PM »
I'm running a couple of different machines all running W7.  One of the machines has the 4.6.9 build on it, the other had the same build.
Our workflow is
-import via PM
-tag using PM
-move tagged images to new folder using PM
-import images in that folder to Lightroom 4
-develop and export (and sometimes we change color tags before exporting)

One machine works as it always has, meaning all the color info from the original color tagging (and any color changes made in LR) show in the exported jpeg files in PM.

One of the machines (working fine for years) now only picks up the color class on some of the photos.  I've checked every setting (especially the color tag labels in both PM and LR) and they are the same.   

It especially strange that picking up the color is not consistent.  However those same exports always works right on the other machines.

I've upgraded to 5 and still no change.

The only clue i may have is that when i go into preferences and change any item, the APPLY button engages - except for when i change the color or color name.

I'm not sure if this issue coincides with a demo of PM 5 but it's possible.  however I think i may have done a demo of 5 BECAUSE of this issue that i am having.

Any advise would be great, thanks.

~bd

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: color class irregularities
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:33:12 PM »
I'm running a couple of different machines all running W7.  One of the machines has the 4.6.9 build on it, the other had the same build.

"the other had the same build."  Does that simply mean that both systems are using PM 4.6.9?

-Kirk

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
yes, sorry

both had 4.6.9 and  one of them also has V5 as well

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 03:05:58 PM »
yes, sorry

both had 4.6.9 and  one of them also has V5 as well

OK. I suggest comparing the General, Files, and IPTC/XMP settings among the apps on the two systems and see if there are any differences between them.

-Kirk

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 07:42:03 AM »
Yep, did that.  Examined every setting, every tick box, every IPTC then XMP etc. etc.
What makes it really strange i that - I code it in PM, LR sees the colors, then when i export it to jpeg, the colors are no longer viewable in PM by me.   When others look at those same exports, they see the colors.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 07:52:37 AM »
Yep, did that.  Examined every setting, every tick box, every IPTC then XMP etc. etc.
What makes it really strange i that - I code it in PM, LR sees the colors, then when i export it to jpeg, the colors are no longer viewable in PM by me.   When others look at those same exports, they see the colors.

Please post a sample file.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »
here's a file

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »
here's a file

OK, so what color class value do you expect to see on the sample photo?  (the index value or name please, not the color)

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:34:26 AM »
Brian,

In looking at the metadata in the file I see an XMP Label of "Select".  On your PM5, do you have any of the Color Class names set to "Select"?  If not, I think you'll find that if you make all of your apps use the same Color Class names then everything should work fine.

Also, if you have the preference "Synchronize Color Class with IPTC/XMP Urgency field" in the General preferences turned on then you should turn it off.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:46:58 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »
Hi Kirk -

Yep, That's exactly what I have already.  No "Syncron...." and the Color Class names match EXACTLY (we learned that requirement a long time ago) - and they match Lightroom Color classes EXACTLY as well.
Like I said, what's REALLY weird is that 2 other users see the tags on the exported jpegs and I don't.  When I look at the color class setting of that image it shows as "None".

So here's what I'm doing.  I'm attaching two images.  The one where the subject is looking away from the camera shows up for me as "None" but for everyone else shows as a "Select".  The image where the subject is looking at the camera I have just changed to "Select" (which is yellow for us) and appears as a "Select" for all of us including me.

Maybe that can help you detect something?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
Brian,

Yep, That's exactly what I have already.  No "Syncron...." and the Color Class names match EXACTLY (we learned that requirement a long time ago) - and they match Lightroom Color classes EXACTLY as well.
Like I said, what's REALLY weird is that 2 other users see the tags on the exported jpegs and I don't.  When I look at the color class setting of that image it shows as "None".

So here's what I'm doing.  I'm attaching two images.  The one where the subject is looking away from the camera shows up for me as "None" but for everyone else shows as a "Select".  The image where the subject is looking at the camera I have just changed to "Select" (which is yellow for us) and appears as a "Select" for all of us including me.

Maybe that can help you detect something?

The new file happens to have the IPTC record 2 field 221 (PMPrefs) in it whereas the image with the subject looking away does not.

I suggest that since you're using Lightroom (which won't update the IPTC PMPrefs but will update XMP) you set PM 5 to read XMP before IPTC.  I think this will solve the issue.

-Kirk

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
BINGO!

That fixed it.

Thanks Kirk, I appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me out with this!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 02:57:11 PM »
You're most welcome, Brian.

-Kirk