Author Topic: Christmas Light Effect  (Read 6964 times)

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Christmas Light Effect
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:13:09 AM »
Greetings. I need some help.

My Setup"
os x 10.6.8
MBP 13” w 8 GB ram
PM 5 build 13507

PM disk cache set to 1024 MB
PM memory cache size 768 MB

I am experiencing the following “Christmas Light Effect”
In the contact sheet after working a while suddenly all images in the thumbnails begin to disappear and I am left with thumbnail outlines, but contents are a solid background of white. then randomly some thumbnail images begin flashing on and off like christmas lights. If I double click a thumbnail then the preview window opens in a solid background gray, and the image will flash on and off.

A restart of PM will bring up the “healthy” contact sheet, but christmas light effect eventually resumes.

What’s going on?  (and I'm not making this up)
thanks,
Nati

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Christmas Light Effect
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:17:39 AM »
Nati,

Can you send me your PM.log file?  Contact me privately for an email address to send it to.

-Kirk

Offline bodoke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
Hi, new to this forum and currently evaluating PhotoMechanic. Very impressed so far but I'm having exactly the same problem as Nati.

My Setup:
OS X 10.8.2
Mac mini Core 2 Duo - 8 GB ram
PM 5 build 13507

Thanks.

Offline CHSS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 02:13:15 AM »
Hi

I came across this post while searching to see if there was already a solution to the problem I'm facing - this is exactly it! Is there a known fix for this?

Thanks,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
I came across this post while searching to see if there was already a solution to the problem I'm facing - this is exactly it! Is there a known fix for this?

Please send me your log file.  Go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and shortly you'll be shown a zipped log file.  Upload it here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 03:43:50 PM »
Hi Nati,

This is, I believe, the same prob. I have been having, and started the thread "serious PM crash problem" about... (24 June a little further down the support forum)... though I described it as "whack a mole" rather than Christmas lights ;-)
Have a look at the attached video clip & see if it looks familiar.

I have been mailing back & forth with Kirk & I'm still not sure what happened in my case... But the good news is that after my last reinstall (I am on 16438)... fourth times a charm... & dare I say it... I haven't had a repeat of the problem... at least for some days and a couple of heavy jobs now... so there is hope;-}

Ned

Offline CHSS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 01:58:12 AM »
Hi Kirk thanks - zipped log file attached!

I will hold out hope then Ned! I work somewhere that I have to go through my IT department for most things so I'll test how many goes it is before they let me do it myself... :)

Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline FotNed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:13:12 AM »
Hi Nati,

Jepp that isn't ness. so much fun... IT departments have a tendency to be somewhat restrictive... not without cause in most cases... but it makes for a slower process. Kirk mentioned to me that I didn't add the video here in this thread... I was just referring back to the thread I started with the video... sorry about that if you misunderstood... I'll add it here as well so you can have a look & see if it is what you are experiencing.

Ned

Offline CHSS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 08:25:14 AM »
Hi,

I've attached an updated file as since my last one I was able to uninstall and reinstall and it seems to be a different build. I've not seen the flashing effect again yet but I've also not had chance to use it a lot - I did however try use the upload button which caused it to crash.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:03:41 AM »
I noticed that you have a number of faults with your sort cache database and your preferences database.  A reset of your preferences may help out significantly:

How to reset prefs on Windows: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8219.0
How to reset prefs on Mac OS X: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8218.0

HTH,

-Kirk