Author Topic: Unable to edit Canon 5D mkIII CR2 (RAW) files  (Read 10441 times)

Offline Martincad3

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Unable to edit Canon 5D mkIII CR2 (RAW) files
« on: January 08, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »
Hi All,
        I hope someone can help. I have a problem with opening Canon CR2 RAW files from Photo Mechanic 5 on a MacBook Pro. I have assigned Adobe Elements 11 as the RAW editor but when I pick edit, it doesn't open the ACR Editor, it only opens Adobe Elements. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Martin

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Unable to edit Canon 5D mkIII CR2 (RAW) files
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:24:46 PM »
Martin,

If you open the same file from the finder what happens then? And what happens if you drag the file to the Photoshop Elements application?

Oh, and finally, have you updated Elements's raw converter to the latest version and does that support the 5d mk III?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Martincad3

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »
Hi Hayo,
      Thanks for your quick reply. When I open the RAW file from Finder, it opens correctly in ACR Editor. Yes I have the latest ACR installed. When I select Edit or Edit wit Element or "e" I can see Adobe Elements start up but not the ACR Editor. I have assigned Elements as the RAW editor in the Preferences RAW tab. I am running PM5 Build 13158 I don't want to load the lattest build as I've read that there might be a problem with this on a Mac
Regards,
Martin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
Martin,

Thanks for your quick reply. When I open the RAW file from Finder, it opens correctly in ACR Editor. Yes I have the latest ACR installed. When I select Edit or Edit wit Element or "e" I can see Adobe Elements start up but not the ACR Editor. I have assigned Elements as the RAW editor in the Preferences RAW tab. I am running PM5 Build 13158 I don't want to load the lattest build as I've read that there might be a problem with this on a Mac

Specifically what problem are you referring to in regards to later builds?

-Kirk

Offline Martincad3

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »
Hi, I've read a few threads about the latest Build not running on Mac OS. Apart from ACR not opening my RAW files everything else works fine. I think my problem is more to do with a tick box I have assigned correctly. I've had Photo Mechanic installed for a few Months and received Adobe Elements as a Christmas present. Is there anything else I can try to get this working. I've been using Photo Mechanic for years (I love the functionality of it) on my old Laptop but recently bought a MacBook Pro and wanted to cary on using this great software.

Regards,

Martin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »
Martin,

Hi, I've read a few threads about the latest Build not running on Mac OS. Apart from ACR not opening my RAW files everything else works fine. I think my problem is more to do with a tick box I have assigned correctly. I've had Photo Mechanic installed for a few Months and received Adobe Elements as a Christmas present. Is there anything else I can try to get this working. I've been using Photo Mechanic for years (I love the functionality of it) on my old Laptop but recently bought a MacBook Pro and wanted to cary on using this great software.

I don't know of any threads that say that builds newer than the one you're running don't work on Mac OS X.  We'd go out of business!

So I suggest you always run the very latest build of Photo Mechanic 5.  A large number of issues were fixed in builds released after build 13158.

What happens after Photoshop Elements is open and you send another file to it?  Does it just ignore you?  What happens if you drag the selected photo from PM 5 onto Photoshop Elements in the Dock?

-Kirk

Offline Martincad3

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
Hi, You can only open one CR2 RAW file at any one time, ACR opens up a separate ACR Edit window for each image you send to it. Once you open the converted file, the ACR editor closes. All the CR2 files I send from the Finder open without a problem. Can you advise me what settings I need to set in Photo Mechanic as I know the RAW files open from finder without any issue. I more frustrated about not being able to open in Photo Mechanic.

Martin

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 02:16:38 PM »
Hi Martin,

I just installed Elements 11 on my OS X.7.5 MBPro and the normal Edit Photos option in Photo Mechanic 5 will launch Elements 11 but none of the raw files open in ACR. I did find a work around that should help your problem.  You will need to have Elements running in the background with some part of the blank window accessible. Select the raw files on Photo Mechanic's contact sheet. Click and hold on any selected image and then drag the selected group into Elements blank work space. After a few seconds the ACR dialog will open. All of the raw files will be listed on the left but only the first will be selected. Click the Select All button at the top left of the ACR dialog. Now click the Open Images button at the bottom right.

regards,

--Bob

Offline Martincad3

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:49:59 AM »
Thanks for your reply Bob, much appreciated. This seems in indicate that there's a compatibility issue between PM5 and Elements. Hopefully it can be fixed in a firmware update. I'll try the work a round when I get home from work.
Thanks once again.
Martin,

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 02:20:57 AM »
Hi, Martin
Just as a testimony, I have a Macbook Pro with OS X and I always use the latest build of PM5 (if not the beta version). I have nothing to say but praise their total compatibility.
PM seems to be designed exactly for Mac users. With a Mac one can put to use all funcionalities of PM.
Regards,

Luiz Muzzi

Offline Martincad3

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:09:08 AM »
Hi Martin,

I just installed Elements 11 on my OS X.7.5 MBPro and the normal Edit Photos option in Photo Mechanic 5 will launch Elements 11 but none of the raw files open in ACR. I did find a work around that should help your problem.  You will need to have Elements running in the background with some part of the blank window accessible. Select the raw files on Photo Mechanic's contact sheet. Click and hold on any selected image and then drag the selected group into Elements blank work space. After a few seconds the ACR dialog will open. All of the raw files will be listed on the left but only the first will be selected. Click the Select All button at the top left of the ACR dialog. Now click the Open Images button at the bottom right.

regards,

--Bob
Hi Rob,
       I tried what you suggested and success, the CR2 RAW file opens in the ACR Editor, I'm miffed why they dont open when I select Edit from Photo Mechanic.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Martincad3

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 04:19:20 AM »
I'm quite annoyed about not being able to use Photo Mechanic as part of my Photographic Workflow process when editing images with my new 5D mkIII camera. I've used Photo Mechanic for years without any problems. I've just found out that I need to pay for a new Licence before I can update to the latest level firmware. I would have thought that customers with Photo Mechanic "5" should be entitled to updates that come out for "5" and not have to pay more to get it working.

Regards,

Martin,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:38:02 AM »
Martin,

I'm quite annoyed about not being able to use Photo Mechanic as part of my Photographic Workflow process when editing images with my new 5D mkIII camera. I've used Photo Mechanic for years without any problems. I've just found out that I need to pay for a new Licence before I can update to the latest level firmware. I would have thought that customers with Photo Mechanic "5" should be entitled to updates that come out for "5" and not have to pay more to get it working.

You must be mistaken.  Anyone who was capable of running PM 5 when it was initially released can run the very latest version of PM 5.  And when you mention firmware, are you talking about firmware for your 5D Mark III?  Photo Mechanic is software, not firmware.

Is this somehow related to your issues with Photoshop Elements?

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 09:06:51 AM »
Martin,

I hope someone can help. I have a problem with opening Canon CR2 RAW files from Photo Mechanic 5 on a MacBook Pro. I have assigned Adobe Elements 11 as the RAW editor but when I pick edit, it doesn't open the ACR Editor, it only opens Adobe Elements. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I went and purchased Photoshop Elements 11 and installed it on my system.  Adobe has packaged the application in an odd way and you have to be careful to pick the actual application and not the alias that Adobe created.  See my screenshot for the path to the actual application.  Once I told PM to use the actual application and not the alias then editing from PM works perfectly.

HTH,

-Kirk

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Martin_E

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 10:28:38 AM »
Kirk, Thank you very much for the excellent tip. Now it works a treat. Its amazing that the PM Team didn't suggest that at the top of the thread. .

Best Regards,

Martin