Author Topic: Truncated IPTC info  (Read 2575 times)

Offline doshjemotts

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Truncated IPTC info
« on: January 09, 2013, 05:27:27 AM »
Hello,

I've been having a strange issue with my IPTC info when copying photos from my personal laptop (Macbook Pro) to my work desktop PC.

I'm running Photo mechanic version 5.0, build 13507 (c69a93e) on Mac OS X 10.8.2 on my laptop, and Photo Mechanic Version 4.6.3 on Windows 7 on my work PC.

After moving photos from laptop to desktop, the Photographer, Credit and Source fields become truncated. They start as "Joshua L. DeMotts/Stars and Stripes" and end up as "Joshua L. DeMotts/Stars and Stri."

Please advise.

-Josh

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Truncated IPTC info
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:35:56 AM »
Josh,

I've been having a strange issue with my IPTC info when copying photos from my personal laptop (Macbook Pro) to my work desktop PC.

I'm running Photo mechanic version 5.0, build 13507 (c69a93e) on Mac OS X 10.8.2 on my laptop, and Photo Mechanic Version 4.6.3 on Windows 7 on my work PC.

After moving photos from laptop to desktop, the Photographer, Credit and Source fields become truncated. They start as "Joshua L. DeMotts/Stars and Stripes" and end up as "Joshua L. DeMotts/Stars and Stri."

That looks like something Photoshop would do.  Are you saying that you have not modified the photos at all during your copying process?  Please post a samples.  One from your laptop, and the same one from your desktop PC.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline doshjemotts

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:41:54 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

The photos were edited with Lightroom, but the captions still look fine on my laptop with Photomechanic5 after the edits. I've opened the same photos from the same thumbdrive on both systems and I'm having the same issue.

I've attached an image directly form my thumbdrive and one that has been copied from the older version of Photomechanic on my work PC respectively.

Do you think it could be an upgrade issue?

Thanks for the help.

-Josh

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
Josh,

The photos were edited with Lightroom, but the captions still look fine on my laptop with Photomechanic5 after the edits. I've opened the same photos from the same thumbdrive on both systems and I'm having the same issue.

I've attached an image directly form my thumbdrive and one that has been copied from the older version of Photomechanic on my work PC respectively.

Do you think it could be an upgrade issue?

Not likely.  I looked at the metadata on both images.  In the XMP metadata none of the fields are truncated.  In the IPTC metadata, the fields are truncated in the image named "090113PATRIOTphotos01.jpg".

So the reason you're not seeing truncation even though it is happening on some of your photos (probably because of some other application in your workflow like Lightroom) is because on your laptop you have it set to read XMP (the non-truncated data) before reading IPTC.  The reason you're seeing truncated data on your other system is because it is set to read IPTC before XMP.

Adobe's applications have always enforced field length limits on IPTC (even though IPTC can handle fields of practically unlimited length) but not on XMP since the metadata standards differ between the two types.  Photo Mechanic has never enforced those limits.

If you set both of your systems to read XMP before IPTC then you shouldn't ever see truncated fields.  Now, if having the IPTC data never be truncated is important to you (IPTC is being phased out as a standard so maybe you don't care anymore) you'll have to make sure that if any of Adobe's tools update your files then you must update them one more time with PM via the IPTC Stationery Pad (just tell it to clear some always empty field) and PM will "fix" your IPTC data for you.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline doshjemotts

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:16:01 AM »
Great!

Thanks for the help, it worked and my headache is gone!

-Josh