Author Topic: RAW+JPEG vs. RAW processing efficiency  (Read 7916 times)

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
RAW+JPEG vs. RAW processing efficiency
« on: November 18, 2006, 03:09:36 AM »
I attended a class where it was suggested I shoot RAW+JPEG.  (They also recommended Photo Mechanic.)  My notes state that doing so allows for ease of emailing, (I assume if a fast turnaround is required), "etc." (whatever that means).  I have read that others shoot RAW+JPEG for speed of browsing and selection.

Is there a performance difference in PM for RAW+JPEG vs. RAW?  Is the quality of the image different in Preview or Contact Sheet different for RAW+JPEG vs. RAW?  Are there other PM considerations in this regard?

Are there other reasons for shooting RAW+JPEG that I am missing?

Rich

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: RAW+JPEG vs. RAW processing efficiency
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 06:38:30 AM »
Rich,

I attended a class where it was suggested I shoot RAW+JPEG.  (They also recommended Photo Mechanic.)  My notes state that doing so allows for ease of emailing, (I assume if a fast turnaround is required), "etc." (whatever that means).  I have read that others shoot RAW+JPEG for speed of browsing and selection.

Is there a performance difference in PM for RAW+JPEG vs. RAW?  Is the quality of the image different in Preview or Contact Sheet different for RAW+JPEG vs. RAW?  Are there other PM considerations in this regard?

Are there other reasons for shooting RAW+JPEG that I am missing?

Shooting RAW+JPEG is great when your JPEGs already look spot on since you have nothing more to do (no RAW development/adjustment needed).  And for those times when the JPEG isn't perfect, you have the option of developing the RAW and adjusting it as needed.

Photo Mechanic can join the two images as a single item (and by default it does this) and in doing so it uses the JPEG of the pair for purposes of previewing and thumbnail generation.  Photo Mechanic in general is not a RAW rendering application, meaning that when given a RAW photo, Photo Mechanic finds the embedded JPEG preview which is often half resolution, and uses that for previewing and thumbnail generation.

Some cameras like the Nikon D2X output a full resolution preview inside their RAW files, and as such there is virtually no difference in the preview quality in Photo Mechanic over shooting RAW+JPEG.

So if you shot RAW only instead of RAW+JPEG, the differences would be that your previews wouldn't look as sharp, and you can't do a Save as operation (in general this is true, but on Mac OS X 10.4.6 and higher we can indeed render many RAW formats).  You can always extract the JPEG previews out of RAW files with a tool on the Tools menu.

There is a slight performance improvement in general when shooting RAW only in that since the JPEG previews embedded into the RAW files tend to be smaller than full resolution they can be scaled more quickly for thumbnails and previews.  You may lose the ability to zoom in at 100% depending on your camera's JPEG preview size in its RAW files.

So it is really a matter of personal taste/workflow needs.  If you shoot RAW only then you'll likely be spending a fair amount of time working with a RAW converter application.  If you shoot RAW+JPEG then this time can be reduced somewhat.  Your cards will fill up faster when shooting RAW+JPEG, and your ability to shoot long high-speed bursts will also be reduced.  If you're a sports photographer then that can be a deal breaker.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 06:47:12 AM »
Kirk,

You answered my next question (Save File As) before I could ask it.  Thanks.  I'll just keep and archive RAW+JPEG pairs.

Rich

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 11:53:19 AM »
Kirk,
I shoot with a Canon 1Ds (11.1 mega pixel). I had only been shooting RAW without a JPEG for the speed necessary in shooting people on location for quite some time. Recently I started using Photo Mechanic again and found that this workflow was not very efficient for me in that the time to render the preview from the RAW file was approximately 2 to 3 seconds per image (I am on a MAC OS 10.4.8). I've begun shooting a JPEG along with the RAW file again, but do see a great decrease in shooting high speed bursts and find that I run up against the buffer now... my question is this... for those situations where I need the fast shooting times, is there any difference in creating a JPEG AFTERWARDS through an action in Photoshop? I've been doing this lately, creating a 1024 pixel jpeg from an action that I have written in Photoshop, putting it in the folder, then previewing the jpeg+raw files for editing with Photo Mechanic. This creates a bit more work, but find that in those situations where I need the speed, I'm not running up against the buffer and missing shots. Also, if an image needs a little refinement, I can adjust the shot a bit in Bridge before creating the JPEG. One other question: I find that if I begin my processing with Bridge, then go to Photo Mechanic then go back to Bridge, that the RAW file previews need to be recreated again... any way around this or at least an idea as to why this happens??
Thanks,
Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 02:51:29 PM »
Andy,

I shoot with a Canon 1Ds (11.1 mega pixel). I had only been shooting RAW without a JPEG for the speed necessary in shooting people on location for quite some time. Recently I started using Photo Mechanic again and found that this workflow was not very efficient for me in that the time to render the preview from the RAW file was approximately 2 to 3 seconds per image (I am on a MAC OS 10.4.8). I've begun shooting a JPEG along with the RAW file again, but do see a great decrease in shooting high speed bursts and find that I run up against the buffer now... my question is this... for those situations where I need the fast shooting times, is there any difference in creating a JPEG AFTERWARDS through an action in Photoshop? I've been doing this lately, creating a 1024 pixel jpeg from an action that I have written in Photoshop, putting it in the folder, then previewing the jpeg+raw files for editing with Photo Mechanic. This creates a bit more work, but find that in those situations where I need the speed, I'm not running up against the buffer and missing shots. Also, if an image needs a little refinement, I can adjust the shot a bit in Bridge before creating the JPEG. One other question: I find that if I begin my processing with Bridge, then go to Photo Mechanic then go back to Bridge, that the RAW file previews need to be recreated again... any way around this or at least an idea as to why this happens??

When using Bridge/ACR you'll want to make sure that all XMP is sidecar only.  Open the Preferences dialog.  Click on the IPTC/XMP tab.  Uncheck the box that embeds XMP into TIFF-based RAW files.  Bridge has a bug in it where it prefers XMP data embedded inside RAW files over the XMP found in sidecar files.  This isn't such a problem except when you make adjustments and it doesn't update the XMP embedded inside the RAW file.  This means that your settings are "lost".  (They aren't really lost since the settings are in the XMP sidecar file, but Bridge is no longer paying attention to them.)

Hopefully Adobe will fix this issue soon but making the above preferences change will solve the problem for now.  If you want to correct your current files, then be sure to also run the "Revert TIFF-based RAW to original" tool on the Tools menu and choose to backup your metadata into XMP sidecar files.

This will fix the problem with current files, and your future photos won't have this issue.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Photographer Karsten Weirup
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 03:41:14 PM »
"Uncheck the box that embeds XMP into TIFF-based RAW files."

And that goes for the IPTC-field also?

Best Karsten

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 04:10:47 PM »
Karsten,

"Uncheck the box that embeds XMP into TIFF-based RAW files."

And that goes for the IPTC-field also?

That's up to you.  IPTC is completely separate from XMP and does not "trip up" Bridge.

-Kirk

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 12:43:06 AM »
would that be uncheck the "Add embedded IPTC4XMP" box under "When writing IPTC/XMP:> For Tiff Based RAW photos:"???? thanks for your help on this.

andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 01:00:09 AM »
Andy,

would that be uncheck the "Add embedded IPTC4XMP" box under "When writing IPTC/XMP:> For Tiff Based RAW photos:"???? thanks for your help on this.

Yes, that's correct.

-Kirk

Offline amdaddio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Daddio Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 08:50:42 AM »
Kirk,
What then would be the best setting for the slider directly below, i.e.

"Always create and / or update XMP side car file with IPTC4XMP"
"If XMP sidecar file exist, add and / or update with IPTC4XMP"
"If XMP sidecar files exist, only update IPTC4XMP if present"

THANKS!
Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 08:55:30 AM »
Andy,

What then would be the best setting for the slider directly below, i.e.

"Always create and / or update XMP side car file with IPTC4XMP"
"If XMP sidecar file exist, add and / or update with IPTC4XMP"
"If XMP sidecar files exist, only update IPTC4XMP if present"

Set it to "Always..."

-Kirk