Author Topic: Contact sheet - Image 'flow'  (Read 5995 times)

Offline JStrait

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Contact sheet - Image 'flow'
« on: January 17, 2013, 10:20:14 AM »
I'm trying to use PM to create a layout for my online gallery. The gallery I have created has the images loading top to bottom THEN from the left to right (various reasons for this unnatural flow.) PM's standard flow is first left to right THEN top to bottom.

Is there any way to alter this for one instance?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Contact sheet - Image 'flow'
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:23:36 AM »
I'm trying to use PM to create a layout for my online gallery. The gallery I have created has the images loading top to bottom THEN from the left to right (various reasons for this unnatural flow.) PM's standard flow is first left to right THEN top to bottom.

Is there any way to alter this for one instance?

You can simply check the Reverse checkbox in the toolbar to reverse the sort.  Or you can change the Sort type to Arrangement and then drag and drop your images in any order you desire.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline JStrait

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 01:56:54 PM »
Thanks for the response.  ;D I think my explanation needs more clarification. Here's the link to the gallery I mentioned so you can visually see how it loads:
http://www.stunningheadshots.com

The gallery loads as follows: Top left, then the image directly below that image and so on till the bottom of the first column. Then it goes to the next column and so on. Because it loads like that it's difficult for me to arrange the images in advance. PM sorts top left then across to the right till completing the first row.

Suggestions?  Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »
Thanks for the response.  ;D I think my explanation needs more clarification. Here's the link to the gallery I mentioned so you can visually see how it loads:
http://www.stunningheadshots.com

The gallery loads as follows: Top left, then the image directly below that image and so on till the bottom of the first column. Then it goes to the next column and so on. Because it loads like that it's difficult for me to arrange the images in advance. PM sorts top left then across to the right till completing the first row.

There is no way to make PM sort in the method that your gallery loads images.  Your gallery has a fixed number of rows and columns.  PM has a user adjustable number of columns (resize the window wider or narrower (or change thumbnail size) but the number of rows varies by the number of photos you have in your folder.  I don't think a browser exists that would do what you're asking to be able to do.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 03:49:56 PM »
What is you plan to achieve? If I understand you correctly you want to plan your photo arrangement in PM than move your pictures to the gallery in the order you set up in PM.

You can arrange the photos manually to see their layout as you would like to see in the gallery then you can select them column by column as they will appear in your grouping and add any custom filenames that would sort them in the order you need.

I hope this helps.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline JStrait

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »
Kirk, thanks for confirming what I'm trying to do is impossible with PM.

szurkebarat-  Yes, that is what I'm trying to do. Your solution does sound promising although extremely time consuming. I basically want to turn PM on it's side and have all the images reorientate themselves  ::)  OH well, I'll have to think on this because I really want some method that would allow me to update and add images easily. I suppose I can rewrite my SSP so I have one more column then I could have all the images normally (by row instead of by column.)

Cheers, J

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 07:03:37 AM »
Kirk, thanks for confirming what I'm trying to do is impossible with PM.

szurkebarat-  Yes, that is what I'm trying to do. Your solution does sound promising although extremely time consuming. I basically want to turn PM on it's side and have all the images reorientate themselves  ::)  OH well, I'll have to think on this because I really want some method that would allow me to update and add images easily. I suppose I can rewrite my SSP so I have one more column then I could have all the images normally (by row instead of by column.)

Cheers, J

It was the closest I could offer to a solution.

It may not be the best, but still it can be better then other possibilities.

Good luck with or without it!
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline jwheadshots

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • JW Headshots
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 05:23:44 AM »
So glad I found this! Been wracking my brain trying to find a work around for this for days. Whew. Thanks guys!  :)

Offline joejenkins

• Newcomer
  • Joe Jenkins
    • View Profile
    • Joe Jenkins Photo
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 10:43:24 PM »
I think, there is no real way to make PM sort in the technique that your exhibition loads pictures.