Author Topic: 2 different captions  (Read 8688 times)

Offline nick.lagalle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
2 different captions
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:13:15 PM »
I'm a bit stumped on this one as it has only happened to one user I support so I am hoping someone might know the answer.

The user is on the latest build of PM under Windows 7

The issue has been for some reason the original caption when ingesting the image ends up being stored in the genera EXIF data as well if the caption is replaced.

Looking at an image with an exif reader shows the two different fields with the different captions. Note all the caption editing is done with PM and nothing else. PM and Photoshop show the amended caption and windows explorer shows the initial one.

Any ideas on what might cause it? I have sample pics.

Cheers,

Nick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 2 different captions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »
Nick,

I'm a bit stumped on this one as it has only happened to one user I support so I am hoping someone might know the answer.

The user is on the latest build of PM under Windows 7

The issue has been for some reason the original caption when ingesting the image ends up being stored in the genera EXIF data as well if the caption is replaced.

Looking at an image with an exif reader shows the two different fields with the different captions. Note all the caption editing is done with PM and nothing else. PM and Photoshop show the amended caption and windows explorer shows the initial one.

Any ideas on what might cause it? I have sample pics.

Perhaps one is in IPTC and the other is in XMP?  Or the EXIF description tag?

Sure, post samples.  Please let me know what the two captions are so I can search for them.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your sample files

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline nick.lagalle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:28:34 PM »
Hi Kirk,

here is a sample image..

it was ingested with "  Australian Open 2013 Novak Djokovic took time out to  grant 16 year old Jake Hordacre starlight foundation wish"

but replaced with "Australian Open 2013  Andreas Seppi is a professional tennis player from South Tyrol, northern Italy." using the info box.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »
Nick,

here is a sample image..

it was ingested with "  Australian Open 2013 Novak Djokovic took time out to  grant 16 year old Jake Hordacre starlight foundation wish"

but replaced with "Australian Open 2013  Andreas Seppi is a professional tennis player from South Tyrol, northern Italy." using the info box.

The first one is in the EXIF description tag and PM wouldn't have written that during Ingest.  The second one is in the IPTC and the XMP metadata.  It sounds like to me that whoever worked on this file used PM to add the initial caption, used something like Photoshop to modify the file which copied the caption into a new EXIF description tag and then modified the caption later with PM via the IPTC Info dialog or via an IPTC Stationery Pad apply.

PM will only write an EXIF description tag during a Save As to a new file.

-Kirk

Offline nick.lagalle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:00:04 PM »
ahh ok..

so if it was ingested with the caption, then edited in Photoshop, then the caption modified it could potentially do it? She was doing a save as to put them onto a USB stick.

Question is though how can you use PM to remove that? or prevent it from happening?

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:14:47 PM »
That's the same "issue" as I have...

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=8106.0

BR
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:44:24 PM »
Nick,

ahh ok..

so if it was ingested with the caption, then edited in Photoshop, then the caption modified it could potentially do it? She was doing a save as to put them onto a USB stick.

Question is though how can you use PM to remove that? or prevent it from happening?

You can use the Delete Metadata tool to delete the EXIF data but you'll lose all of the EXIF data, not just the description tag.

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:46:04 PM »
Kirk,

does it make sense to post the updating of Description and Image Description together as a feature request?

Sven

Offline nick.lagalle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »

You can use the Delete Metadata tool to delete the EXIF data but you'll lose all of the EXIF data, not just the description tag.

-Kirk

Probably not suitable as we don't want to erase that. I can't see anything in Photoshop that would allow you to prevent it being written. I know that if I open it again in photoshop and re-save it the caption appears ok.

I guess the only work around i can see is that you caption before editing, but it would be nice to have an easy fix. PM picks up the correct caption ok, but some other apps don't.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:50:06 PM »
Kirk, for my and the other photographer's issue there was no modification of the caption in PS... Only PM was involved.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 10:54:23 PM »
Nick,

to remove the EXIF-Description only get the ExifTool and use the following command:

Code: [Select]
exiftool -overwrite_original -Exif:ImageDescription='' *.jpg
BR
Sven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 11:04:12 PM »
Sven,

Kirk, for my and the other photographer's issue there was no modification of the caption in PS... Only PM was involved.

You don't have to make any metadata changes in Photoshop.  Just simply saving the file again with no changes at all will cause it to manufacture an EXIF description tag from the current IPTC/XMP Caption.

If the file was re-saved in Photoshop, then that's enough.

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 11:10:35 PM »
Kirk,

You don't have to make any metadata changes in Photoshop.  Just simply saving the file again with no changes at all will cause it to manufacture an EXIF description tag from the current IPTC/XMP Caption.

Am I right that when sending a file via FTP it will be saved and then transmitted?
I double checked the transmitted file and I have 2 different descriptions. (Description got the new text)
The "Caption Abstract" has been changed OK to the new Description.
Sven

Offline nick.lagalle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 11:20:54 PM »

Am I right that when sending a file via FTP it will be saved and then transmitted?
I double checked the transmitted file and I have 2 different descriptions. (Description got the new text)
Sven

Don't know about FTP but when i do a Save as it certainly doesn't replace that field which is why the problem has shown up for me. if it overwrote that field with the description, it would be fine.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
Sven,

Only if you're telling the uploader to make some sort of modification to the image during the upload and you definitely can't have the 'Send Originals' set or PM won't process the image.  And if PM can simply update the metadata without changing pixel data then the EXIF description tag won't be created either.

-Kirk