Author Topic: How to personalize two different instances of PM5  (Read 4779 times)

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to personalize two different instances of PM5
« on: January 20, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »
Hello,

I installed built 13158 in one folder as PM5_Pana (because that built can embed XMP into the RW2) and built 13507 into another folder as PM5_Nikon, because this and -all builts- can be set to embed XMP into the NEF.

The problem is that the two instances access the same default ingest settings which is annoying since the "Primary destination" and the "Rename ingested photos as" templates are different.

Is it possible to set it up such as PM5_Pana loads the Ingest settings for the GF1 and PM5_Nikon loads those for my D80 and D7000?

Francis

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to personalize two different instances of PM5
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:36:07 AM »
Francis,

I installed built 13158 in one folder as PM5_Pana (because that built can embed XMP into the RW2) and built 13507 into another folder as PM5_Nikon, because this and -all builts- can be set to embed XMP into the NEF.

The problem is that the two instances access the same default ingest settings which is annoying since the "Primary destination" and the "Rename ingested photos as" templates are different.

Is it possible to set it up such as PM5_Pana loads the Ingest settings for the GF1 and PM5_Nikon loads those for my D80 and D7000?

No.  There is only one set of settings no matter how many instances of Photo Mechanic you have.

If you want us to turn on embedding for Panasonic files again, we could make it a preference somewhere but leave it off by default.  We'd rather do that than have you using old versions with known issues.

-Kirk

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 02:21:11 AM »
Hello Kirk,

Yes, an option to enable embedding XMP into the RW2 would be excellent. The latest PM5 version is visually more pleasant and I understand that a number of foncionality (that I don't use at present) have been fixed, I would drop 13158 with no regret...

The option should come with a warning that Adobe programs may no longer open RW2 modified in this way. And that anyway some test should be run before working on valuable files. The programs I use (Aftershotpro, PictureWindowPro, IMatch have no problem.

So hopefully a next release will enable this.

Francis

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 05:00:10 AM »
Francis,

No.  There is only one set of settings no matter how many instances of Photo Mechanic you have.

If you want us to turn on embedding for Panasonic files again, we could make it a preference somewhere but leave it off by default.  We'd rather do that than have you using old versions with known issues.

-Kirk

Hello Kirk,

Does this remain on your todo list? I understand it concerns only few people, nevertheless would be useful to us Panasonic users...

In the meanwhile I continue to use PM 5.0 built 13158 for my Pana images. Works fine.

Francis